Thursday, February 02, 2006

Cooking With JC

With apologies to Anne, I'm actually going to talk about cooking. Over the past week I've actually endeavored to do a little bit of real cooking. Nothing near as elaborate as what Anne throws down, but you have to start somewhere.

For some reason, I've had a major jones for fudge for about 2 months now. I think it's because my grandmother always makes fudge at Christmas. She did again this year, but apparently it wasn't enough. I really wanted to make some fudge of my own. I did make a batch when I was visiting Holli and Faith in OKC after Christmas. It turned out OK, but not spectacular. However, it somehow still didn't quench my desire to make some kick-ass fudge.

My mainstay cookbook is the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook, which contains 2 fudge recipes - Old-Time Fudge and Remarkable Fudge. Initially I wanted to make the Old-Time Fudge, because the 'Remarkable' fudge recipe makes 'about 4 pounds'! However, when I saw that the Old-Time fudge required 25 minutes of stirring and 55 minutes of cooling, I decided to go for the easier of the two. I have to say that I think this fudge turned out to be pretty damn good. Now you may be thinking: "4 pounds!? Holy shit JC, you fucking lardass." Well, I didn't have a pan that would allow me to make a half batch. I've given it my best shot, but after eating about 2/3 of this stuff, I'm ready to cry uncle. So I guess the rest of it shall go in the freezer. The fudge itch has most definitely been scratched.

One last note on the fudge. I have always been fascinated by something my grandmother told me about making fudge: "You have to make it on a clear day, or the fudge won't 'fudge'." And then I saw it right there in the cookbook, that humidity above 60 percent has a negative effect on candies. Luckily for the fudge, low humidity days have been plentiful around here.

Not content with 4 pounds of fudge, Monday night I decided to make some Thai red curry. I used to make this stuff quite often, but it's very easy for me to get burned out on it because every time I make it I'm eating it for 3 days. It's been a long time since I had it, though, so it really hit the spot. It's very easy to make too. I've tried to be authentic and use stuff like Thai eggplant, but I just don't like that stuff. Too many seeds. I've found it's best to just put things you like in there. I added chicken, broccoli, baby corn, bamboo slices, and green beans. There was a small snafu when I discovered that my fish sauce expired in March of last year. I honestly don't know how you would know that stuff is expired since it smells like shit even when it's fresh, so I said what the hell and used it anyway (I did throw the rest out). Luckily the expired fish sauce didn't cause me to die.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Jan said...

Pack some of your fudge up and send it to Faith & Ali. They are both feeling poorly and a treat would perk them up.

2/03/2006 8:09 AM  
Blogger hollibobolli said...

Exactly.. I was thinking the same thing. Send some of that fudge here!!!

I thought the fudge you made in OKC was pretty good.. you dissing the OKC fudge, lardass?

:)

2/03/2006 9:54 AM  
Blogger JC said...

Karen - it's kind of funny, I'm usually the expiration date Nazi. I guess fish sauce is so rancid anyway, I figured : "What could happen to it?"

Holli- Believe it or not the thought did actually cross my mind to send you guys some of this stuff, but I wasn't sure if it would melt all over the place. I thought I would bring some when I visit! And the OKC fudge was good, it just didn't 'fudge' as much!

2/03/2006 1:44 PM  
Blogger Dana said...

I am impressed at the cooking skills!

I make the "fantasy fudge" recipe that is on the marshmallow creme jar and it is gooooood! It didn't turn out so great this year. Maybe the weather was bad that day!

2/03/2006 6:42 PM  
Blogger kristen said...

How very metrosexual of you JC to be cooking both desserts AND main courses!! I love red curry btw, so when I'm visiting you should make it.

2/03/2006 6:54 PM  
Blogger JC said...

baylor - I almost made that recipe, but I would have had to buy more stuff at the grocery, so I went with the other one.

Kiki - Yes, I'm so very metrosexual. You want red curry? You got it!

2/05/2006 9:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home