Sunday, January 15, 2006

Movie Time

Last week I went to see the new Woody Allen film, Match Point. I've been a big fan of Woody Allen's films for about 9 years now. I think it's amazing how he turns out a film every year, even though I will concede that most of his recent efforts have been kind of spotty. I have found something to enjoy in most of them, however, although I thought that Hollywood Ending was atrocious. That is the one film of his that I refused to buy on DVD. I feel that Sweet and Lowdown is the best of his recent efforts. Match Point has gotten a lot of positive press and has been touted as a return to form. Initially, I was really blown away by it. I think the performances are really good, and the fact that it's set in London provided a refreshing change from the usual New York location. The more I got to thinking, though, something emerged that did bother me. The plot is very similar to Crimes and Misdemeanors, which is one of the best Woody films there is. I guess if you're going to rip someone off, who better than yourself? So, while I think Match Point is an excellent film worth watching, I have to deduct some points for not being entirely original.

Another movie that I watched recently (along with Holli) was Grizzly Man. This movie has received very good reviews and I've been wanting to see it for months now. It is a documentary about the guy (Timothy Treadwell) who would go to Alaska every year and hang out in the wild with grizzly bears. He went on 13 such 'expeditions' before being killed and eaten by a bear a few years ago. I think he thought that he was doing something positive by bringing attention to the fact that bears are endangered, but after seeing this film I have to say that I don't think what he was doing was really in the best interest of the bears. I think it's possible to bring attention to them without conditioning them to be comfortable around humans. I'm sure for him it was a very powerful experience to feel like he was a 'bear' in some ways, and I think that would be a really amazing feeling to have, but it seems kind of selfish. He also seemed to be pretty naive in a lot of ways about how nature works. I will say that the footage that Timothy Treadwell shot is pretty amazing to watch (at least the footage that doesn't include himself). And I will also say that Andy Dick is a shoe-in to play him in the musical.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

Andy Dick should definitely play that role. Too funny.

As far as Woody goes, I haven't seen any of his movies since Hollywood Endings but I'm glad to hear Match Point is good even if it's a rip off of Crimes and Misdemeanors. You know, Andy Dick would make a good Woody Allen as well.

1/15/2006 3:21 PM  
Blogger hollibobolli said...

I have to give the disclaimer up front that Nathan is not a dog - so I am not guilty of any sort of anthropomorphization.

I didn't realize Grizzly Man would disturb me half as much as it did.. I got the idea that it was going to be some sort of uplifting film, but it was just the opposite..

I think he really missed the mark in helping the animals - which is sad. You're absolutely right, the damage can never be undone by conditioning the bears and foxes to mankind. I would have a hard time not wanting to hug those baby foxes, but still..

And just the portrait that emerges of Timothy Treadwell itself was so dark - I don't know.. it was beautiful footage, but with a very sad storyline.

1/15/2006 6:36 PM  
Blogger kristen said...

Crimes and Misdemeanors is truly my most favorite Woody Allen movie, it kills me....esp. the ending. I also love Manhattan.
I want to see Match Point but haven't gotten around to it.

1/15/2006 9:06 PM  
Blogger JC said...

I think Crimes and Misdemeanors is my favorite too. I also like Manhattan and Hannah and Her Sisters. Husbands and Wives is good, but difficult to watch.

1/17/2006 3:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home