Tuesday, January 03, 2006

The Grind

Back in October I went to the dentist, and at the end of the exam after the dentist looked at my teeth he said: "It looks like you've been grinding your teeth." I said: "It does?". And he said: "Yes." He didn't seem very concerned about it, and didn't tell me that there was any action I should take, so I didn't think much of it. While I was at my grandmother's house I was in the bathroom one morning looking at my tongue, when I noticed that I have a bevel worn across my front 4 bottom teeth. Holy shit! That probably means that the back of my front 4 top teeth probably are worn like that too. I was suitably freaked out enough to go buy a mouthguard to wear at night that same very same day. It isn't the most fun thing in the world to wear, but I guess it beats having teeth worn down to nubs. I have stress? Who knew?

5 Comments:

Blogger hollibobolli said...

I thought you weren't supposed to wear that mouth guard???

1/03/2006 4:46 PM  
Blogger JC said...

The clicking jaw went away after Thursday. I'm going to keep using it for now unless the clicking returns.

1/03/2006 5:48 PM  
Blogger kristen said...

The clicking jaw isn't from the grinding (hehe) but usually from TMJ and it seems a lot of people have it. I want to call you Nubbins now. Pointed teeth can open cans if you were ever stranded somewhere with a can.

1/04/2006 4:45 AM  
Blogger JC said...

Kiki - Yeah I know. I used to have TMJ but when I got braces that was supposed to correct it (it did). When I bought this mouthguard it said you weren't supposed to use it if you had TMJ. Didn't think that applied to me since I didn't have TMJ anymore. I got concerned that maybe the mouthguard had given me TMJ again. I may still look for another one because my jaw doesn't feel all that great this morning.

I saw a movie where they call it 'TMJ's Disease', which cracks me up.

1/04/2006 9:57 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Holy moly Acumamakiki is killing me. I too now want to call you Mr. Nubbins. Seriously though, I hope both the TMJ and tooth grinding stops. You may not have actual TMJ just a TMJ like syndrome from clenching your jaw because you obviously have STRESS.

1/04/2006 8:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home