Sunday, December 18, 2005

The Dog Whisperer

This weekend I am dog sitting for a friend who is on a cruise. I am watching 4 dogs. One of the dogs exudes the foulest-smelling gas I think I have ever smelled. I am supposed to feed him a tablespoon full of yogurt before each meal to keep the gas in check. He floated a couple of pretty bad ones before I fed him his dinner last night. As I got in bed, he got on top of the covers and laid down. He audibly farted a couple of times (most of the other ones were SBDs), and after the second one I guess he got embarrassed because he left.

One of the other dogs sleeps in the bed also. He is a miniature dachshund who is partially paralyzed in his back legs from his back going out. He doesn't have complete control over when he poops, so my friend has sewn some sleep shirts for him to wear to bed so if he poops it doesn't go places that you don't want it to. Unfortunately he also likes to wriggle out of them.

The thing that scares me the most about staying here is that these dogs like to get up early. I don't. It's kind of ironic since they probably sleep about 23 hours out of a 24 hour day. I guess it's because the only thing they like more than sleeping is eating, and they get fed first thing in the morning. So, at any sign of me stirring in the morning the dogs are raring to go. This morning that happened at about oh, 4:30! I tried really hard to fight it and try to get them to go back to sleep, but the dachshund had wriggled out of his sleep shirt and pooped on top of the blanket. The smell was pretty bad so I thought I would get up and feed them and dispose of the poop. Luckily after feeding them I was able to go back to sleep until a reasonable hour. I'm sure you moms out there are thinking "Hell, I do that every day!".

I have the world's worst case of bed-head this morning. There is a digital camera here by the computer so I took a picture:


Hmm, it looks worse in person because there is a big piece sticking up in the back. Here is a picture of the gas master:


Here are 3 of the dogs sacked out:


And here's a picture of the dachshund:

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger kristen said...

You are TOO funny! I wish I could see you fixing the doggy diapers on sir poops-a-lot and yes, we are up that freaking early almost everyday. At least you got to go back to bed.

The gas master is really cute although I can't for the life of me figure out why yogurt quells the gas!

12/18/2005 2:20 PM  
Blogger Dana said...

I agree. You really are funny! I love the way your attention to the details!

Those dogs are cute!

12/18/2005 5:07 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

My cat, Foxly, wakes me up at 4:30 every fucking morning to get his breakfast. I am now able to get up, feed him, and get right back to sleep on the days when I don't have to get up that early. I should really post a photo of my bed head though. I beat you hands down Mr. Dog Whisperer.

12/19/2005 1:06 AM  
Blogger hollibobolli said...

You always seem to be blaming your gas on someone else.. but the dog???

How cliche.

12/19/2005 9:55 AM  
Blogger hollibobolli said...

Hey Mr. Poof - where the hell are you???? Plotting?

12/19/2005 2:36 PM  
Blogger JC said...

Plotting what? Revenge for all of these slanderous comments?!

Kiki - I'm not sure why the yogurt helps, but it does seem to.

12/19/2005 4:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home