Friday, December 09, 2005

In Praise of Meatwad

Multiple post alert!

This week I finally got around to renting the first season of 'Aqua Teen Hunger Force' on DVD. This is a show that airs on Cartoon Network (which I do not get). I had seen the DVD set at Target and thought it looked interesting, so I decided to rent it. Damn, this is one trippy show. I'm not sure I would actually call it good, but it does have 3 things that I think are great:

1. Every episode starts with the exact same opening shot, and then Dr. Weird goes on to create some hideous monster to terrorize our heroes.
2. The next door neighbor, Carl, a Jersey dude seemingly stuck in the 1980s. His above ground swimming pool is a frequent setting of the show.
3. Meatwad! Meatwad has become one of my favorite cartoon characters. I'm not sure why, but the combination of his voice and his genial stupidity make me laugh. A lot. If you want to hear Meatwad, check out this, this, this, this, or this.

6 Comments:

Blogger kristen said...

Hey, how do you know the guy is from Jersey?? (=

NJ gets a bad wrap but there's a reason (I swear) it's called the Garden State.

12/10/2005 5:33 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I'm with Anne, and I'm scared.

12/10/2005 12:02 PM  
Blogger JC said...

Kiki - I think they actually make reference to the fact that he's from Jersey at some point. I know that Jersey is not as bad as its reputation. I have been to Oakland a couple of times, it was really pretty there. I have also been to Atlantic City, Trenton, and Newark, so I've seen the good and the bad. I remember being surprised at how nice a lot of it was.

12/10/2005 12:57 PM  
Blogger JC said...

Karen - the redneck dogs are still disturbing!

Kiki - How could I forget, the opening scene of each episode actually says that Dr. Weird's laboratory is on the South Jersey Shore!

12/10/2005 1:45 PM  
Blogger kristen said...

We're close to Newark although not too close and it's pretty here.

If you were to say Jersey shore like they do here.....you'd say
shoraaaa(the e is drawn out like an a and hard!)

12/10/2005 5:01 PM  
Blogger JC said...

I remember one time when I was in Jersey we went to eat at an IHOP. The waitress pointed to one of the syrup bottles and I thought she said "That's meatball syrup, don't put it in your coffee." Turns out she was saying maple (meeple) syrup.

12/11/2005 5:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home