Tuesday, December 06, 2005

The Interview

Well, I don't think the interview went all that well. The interviewer started out by stating that this job was not a 9 to 5 job, that it took the willingness to work as long as necessary in a given week to get the work done. He lost me right about there. I've already done that. I don't want to do that anymore, unless it's something I really enjoy doing. This job would be too much of a struggle for me intellectually to enjoy doing it 60 hours a week. And yes, you can get compensated very well financially by working your ass off, but my soul can't take that tradeoff anymore. Could I handle this for a limited period of time? Maybe, but I don't think I would enjoy it much.

The interviewer really didn't ask a lot of the typical interview kind of questions. He did kind of zero in on why I left my last job, and my answer was poor and pretty much made me look like a dumbass. He was also very curious to know why I would leave my last job without already having another one. Of course the real answer is that I was fired, but I wasn't going to say that unless totally backed into a corner. But I think he had his suspicions. This is one question that I really need to come up with a better answer for in any future interviews.

I pretty much lack any experience in the field that this job would be in, and I think that was pretty obvious. I think from their standpoint hiring me would be about the same as hiring someone straight out of college due to all the training that I would require. And they can probably get away with paying someone right out of college less. So, at this point I'm kind of hoping that they don't offer me this job. I don't think it would be a good match. I can chalk up this interview to being good practice. This was my first job interview in 7 years, so I guess it's not too surprising that I would be a bit rusty.

5 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

JC,
I had my first interview in 10 years about two years ago and it was hard. I know where you are coming from. Today was good practice if nothing else and I am really pulling for you to find something that works for you. I think we all are.

12/07/2005 12:03 AM  
Blogger kristen said...

I think Michelle is right. It's very hard to interview once you've been out of the habit. It sounds like that person/interviewer wasn't so good at his job ~ even if he's not interested, make the person feel comfortable so they can answer the questions.

Your SO right that a lot of $$ isn't worth what it takes emotionally when your heart isn't into it.

I know you'll find work that's right for you. You just have to go to the ones that you know don't fit, in order to find the one that does!!

12/07/2005 6:29 AM  
Blogger Dana said...

Not to sound cliche, but at least you did gain the experience irregardless!

And you know what you don't and do what, ya know? That is a definite plus!

12/07/2005 1:23 PM  
Blogger hollibobolli said...

At least you got to show off your cute new hairdo!!!

And now you know what questions you need better answers to for next time.

For anyone wondering - his hair looks really cute - I should have forced a pic!

my word verification

hzQTJC

swear! LOL!

12/07/2005 3:44 PM  
Blogger Jan said...

Interviews are always HORRIBLE. Put this one down to being a trial run. Think of a reason behind your leaving your last job that you feel comfortable with and good luck with the next interview

12/08/2005 7:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home