Sunday, December 04, 2005

Why I'm Freaked

I made mention the other day of not feeling good mentally. Well, here’s the deal on that. I’m starting to get really freaked out about not having a job. I’ve figured out that my unemployment benefits will only last for 6 months. I calculated how much school will cost, and I don’t have enough money to not work for the next 6 months, pay for school, and not work while going to school. I’m also getting tired of having to account for where every single penny goes. I’ve always hated sticking to a budget!

I have been looking for another engineering job to take until I can get into school, but the offers aren’t exactly flooding in. I am starting to seriously consider taking a job, any job, just to have some money coming in. I guess one thing that kept me from doing that before is that I would have to get a job paying more than $10 an hour to make more than unemployment, and I don’t think those jobs are just lying around for anyone to have. I figured that if I couldn’t make more than unemployment benefits, why bother. I’ve learned a little bit more about the nature of the benefits, and there is a pool of money that they draw from, not a time frame. So, you can still have a part time job without completely losing benefits. It will reduce the benefit payout, but it will also extend the length of time to receive benefits. So I could either not work at all and run out of benefits in April, or work some and possibly extend the benefits a few more weeks or months depending on how much money I earn. That may be six of one, a half-dozen of the other.

Now, all this said, I do have a job interview for an engineering job coming up on Tuesday. This will be my first interview since I have been unemployed. It’s not a company that I would be all that excited about working for, and it doesn’t fit my long term career plans, but it could be a good bridge until I get into school.

I’m not sure the world is ready for JC the waiter. We may have to find out though!

4 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

You know there are lots of engineering jobs in Oregon. Just kidding. I know you have a house and lots of cool friends like Holli there. Seriously though, I wish you lots of luck with the interview. I hope you nail it. You can always take a job and still keep looking now that your resume is all up to date.

12/04/2005 7:41 PM  
Blogger JC said...

Thanks Michelle. I have not totally ruled out a possible move in the future. If that's what it takes to get a job I love, it would be worth it!

12/04/2005 11:13 PM  
Blogger hollibobolli said...

What the hell is a budget? I don't even have enough money to figure that out.

Hey - they just said on Primetime the other night that Costco pays $17 bucks an hour to start with the best benefits going!! I thought that was outrageous!!

SHEEZAM!!

12/05/2005 2:10 PM  
Blogger JC said...

I had heard before that the average salary at Costco was $15. Definitely worth looking into.

12/05/2005 3:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home