Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Holiday Blowout Day 2 (or Lookout Lemurs!)

Today we got to visit my sister's workplace - the Duke Primate Research Center. It was pretty neat, they have quite a few different types of lemurs. One of the more unusual types is an Aye-Aye. They are nocturnal and look kind of like bats with big ears, rodent-like teeth, and big bushy tails. They have very skinny, bony fingers that they use to eat larvae found in old tree trunks. Since they are nocturnal, the enclosures that they are in are dark, and you have to turn on some dim overhead lighting to see them.

We also saw the lemur that looks like Zooboomafoo, I can't remember the species, I'll have to look it up. They really can leap around like that! We got to feed raisins to some of the lemurs, they were all very anxious to get them. I took lots of pictures, but I'm not sure if some of them will turn out. It was pretty dark in most of the cages. The lemurs have to be kept inside right now because it so cold. I will post pictures after I get home.

On another note I feel like I am getting sick. Sore throat and whatnot. It almost never fails with me after I've been on a plane. Or maybe Mama Dip sneezed on my banana pudding last night. I am starting a vigorous regimen of echinacea and Cold Eeze to try and get better quick!

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

Now I'm first, as usual...just kidding. I can't wait to see some photos of the lemurs. I like it that they eat raisins.

11/23/2005 3:40 PM  
Blogger kristen said...

Ok, first go get that Airborne stuff. Seriously. It really works.
Next I want to know how you know about Zooboomafoo? Those Kroft brothers are the DORKS!!

11/23/2005 7:00 PM  
Blogger Dana said...

You think your job is okay until you read about someone that works with lemurs everyday...and then you realize that you are LAME!

Yes, get a digital camera! I am glad we can live vicariously through you!

I have been craving banana pudding. (minus the snot from Mama Dip!)

I'm leaving for NC tomorrow a.m. Even though we'll be an less than an hour apart, I will have no cell service, internet...hmmm...basically no civilization. Hehe.

Happy Thanksgiving all! xoxo

11/23/2005 8:00 PM  
Blogger hollibobolli said...

Okay - I had to go back to the last post because I couldn't figure out what in the hell (or who in the hell) Mama Dip is/was.. I didn't know if it was a nickname, etc.. You're so sneaky, one never knows.

You will be happy to know that your love of the lemur rubbed off.. when we watched Madagascar, Faith immediately recognized them and said Lemur.. whereas, Poppy screwed up the name of the show Zooboomafoo and called it "zoombafoo" There's been a lot of lemur talk and/or confusion around here for some reason?

I'm jealous - you got to interact with lemurs.. I just got to clean up after Nate!!

11/24/2005 12:21 AM  
Blogger JC said...

Karen - I would never recommend that someone be eating while reading my blog. Especially if they are squeamish.

Kiki - somehow I came across Zooboomafoo while channel surfing one day. I was mesmerized by how he was leaping around so I watched a little bit.

Holli - I'm glad Faith knows the word 'lemur'!

11/24/2005 10:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home