Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Shave the Whales (or the Lemurs)

My sister replied about the lemur's tail (seen in the zoo post), and it's good news. She worked at the Dallas Zoo in the summer of 1997 and currently works in a primate research center:

The ringtailed lemur, which looks like the same one that was there in '97, has a shaved tail probably for identification. Ringtails tend to look alike from a distance, we have several that look like that so researchers can tell them apart.

So, the lemur doesn't have scurvy, ricketts, or SARS. He (or she) is perfectly fine!

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Dana said...

You truly do learn something new everyday!

SARS! I haven't heard that in forever! I am such a hypochondriac! I used to always think I was getting SARS. (Note: this week I am determined that my place of employment has asbestos.) haha

11/16/2005 9:56 AM  
Blogger hollibobolli said...

Wait - I thought we saw that chunk of tail on a lowrider's antennae on the way out of the zoo??

___!!!

I'm glad we know that the Lemurs are not being picked on.. I honestly think it is so cool your sister gets to do that!

11/16/2005 11:42 AM  
Blogger JC said...

Holli - that's your Tourette's word isn't it? :)

I think it's cool that my sister does that too. She's been one of my inspirations. She doesn't make a lot of money, and her field can be very competitive, but she stuck with it no matter what, and now she has a job she loves!

11/16/2005 1:35 PM  
Blogger hollibobolli said...

Gawd.. the supafly outfit.. is driving me.. insane!!

______!!!!

11/16/2005 2:45 PM  
Blogger kristen said...

So if they're shaving for indentification purposes and most Lemurs look very much the same, how do they distinguish them? Is it more and more rings removed until they are bald and furless?

I like the idea that it might have had scurvy....arrrgghg!!

11/16/2005 7:06 PM  
Blogger JC said...

Holli - I thought you were getting used to it!

Acumama - I'm guessing that maybe they will shave the end of a tail on one of them. I'll ask my sister. And make sure to ingest your vitamin C to avoid scurvy!

11/17/2005 11:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home