Monday, November 07, 2005

Speaking of Marriage

Rant mode: 'On'

Tomorrow is election day, and here in Texas there are 9 amendments to the state constitution on the ballot. One of these is an amendment defining marriage as only being 'between one man and one woman and prohibiting this state or a political subdivision of this state from creating or recognizing any legal status identical or similar to marriage'. You can't really call it a ban against gay marriage because gay marriage is already illegal in Texas. The part after the second 'and' is the real problem. This would seem to indicate that things like same-sex health benefits can be discontinued, and the language of the amendment leaves private contracts between gay partners as potentially being up for legal challenge. I'm sure in this enlightened corner of the planet it will probably pass too. I was actually surprised to read this editorial in the Dallas Morning News recommending a 'No' vote.

What the fuck is wrong with people? Do we really need to institutionalize this type of hate (more than it already is)? Do people think if something like this passes that someone who is gay will think, "Wow, it's really tough being gay now, I better become straight"? What a crock of shit. Being gay is not a choice that people make. Do you really think that someone would choose to live a life with so much difficulty and hatred thrown at them every single day? What are people so afraid of? "Ooo- the gays are coming to get me!" And you hear all this crap about how shit like this promotes 'family values' (whatever the fuck that is) and protects 'the sanctity of marriage'. If marriage is so god damn sacred why do half of all marriages end in divorce? Being married doesn't seem to keep some people from sleeping around on their spouse or in general being lousy human beings either. "Well, the purpose of marriage is to have children and raise a family". It is? OK, then let's ban all marriages where the woman is past the age of 45. I don't hear anyone advocating that. WHAT THE FUCK?!

Whew. I've got to settle down there. On a side note, I have received 3 phone messages from people telling me to vote in favor of this amendment. There's money well spent.

3 Comments:

Blogger kristen said...

Right on! It always gets me when people think that being gay means that they are lusting for every straight person around. As if!! My first college roommate and still very close friend is gay, no she didn't try to hit on me and never has. She's the first person I traveled in Europe with and if it wasn't for her, I would have never found this amazing women's only bar in Amsterdam. Clean, no pee smells in the bathroom.....ok, so I didn't meet a Dutch man of my dreams but I had a great time.

Get the F out of other people's bedrooms and lives is what I want to say. The people that are doing all their judging, well take a look at your own life before you start trying to fix anyone else.
Ok, I'm done clogging your comments.

11/08/2005 6:37 AM  
Blogger JC said...

Last night after I got home I had a message on my answering machine from the 'Vote No' side. I was glad to finally hear that one!

11/08/2005 2:59 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I don't really want to have kids, so I guess in Texas that would mean I can't get married right? I don't get the whole thing. It pisses me off a LOT!

11/09/2005 11:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home