Saturday, November 19, 2005

But I Don't Wanna Learn Math!

One of the careers that I am seriously considering is librarian. I like books and reading, and several of the books I have read have suggested that that career would fit well with my personality type. In order to do this, I will have to take the GRE to get into grad school because you have to have a masters in library science to be a librarian.

I was a little concerned about this since it's been so long since I've taken any standardized test. My initial reaction was that I thought I could do well on the verbal part and struggle on the math part. After reading 2 test prep books and taking some practice tests - my initial reaction was spot on. I'm going to be able to kick verbal's ass six ways to Sunday. Math - not so much.

I was a pretty good student through most of my school years, but I did struggle with math. Especially starting with algebra. I scored about the same on verbal and math on the SAT, but I had to take a prep course and get some tutoring to do well on the math section. I think this explains a lot about why I was unhappy with my job - I have a bachelor's degree in engineering and that was the field I was working in! I've been trying to fit a square peg into a round hole all these years. I can do math, but it isn't intuitive to me like words are. I think I have known this for a long time, but I didn't realize how much it would affect me.

I used to think that my verbal skills were mostly due to reading so much, but now I think that's only part of it. I've read a lot about Myers-Briggs personality types, and my personality type is just more of an 'artistic', right brained type. Reading a lot can definitely improve your vocabulary though. It looks like I'll be up to my eyeballs in math problems until I take the test!

8 Comments:

Blogger Dana said...

I will deny deny deny...but I took college Algebra more than two times! (But I missed the attendence policy once!)

Damn, they make being a librarian hard these days! Maybe you can just win them over with you good looks and charm!

Study up! You can do it!

(my word was jygar...)

11/20/2005 11:35 AM  
Blogger kristen said...

My husband kicks ass at math which I'm SO grateful for, otherwise my daughter would be doomed when it comes to homework help. But he was also an English major so like Anne, he loved both.

Math makes me quiver with fear...
I'm terrible at it and took 10th grade algebra when I was a senior.

I was afraid to go back to school when I went for acupuncture. The program was heavy western science and my undergrad was private art school, so it had been a long time since I'd been in an academic environment.

I think being a librarian is an awesome career. In fact there was this girl who started acu school with me and left after 1 semester to go for a librarian degree.

11/20/2005 2:22 PM  
Blogger JC said...

Karen - I just need to learn math for the GRE test! As far as how many at one library, it depends but the local one here has 6. I don't have a good feel for how difficult it is to get a job in that field yet, but I think there are a fair number of openings.

Anne - I took calculus in high school, 3 semesters in college, differential equations in college, 2 semesters of physics, statics, dynamics etc. That's why it's sad that I have to study for the GRE since it's basically high school math! It doesn't even have trig!

Foxyly - that might work if only I had either one of those qualities! A jygar sounds like like some mythical creature...

Acumamkiki - thanks for the encouragement!

I was probably being a little overly dramatic in my post, I know I can get a decent score if I study a little bit. I have to heighten the drama a bit to have an interesting post!

11/20/2005 3:58 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I can so relate. That's why my blog is called "verbal". I kick ass on any verbal skills test but am not very good at math. I can tell though that you are intelligent. Personality plays a part but you can learn to be more left brained. I'm sure of it. The amazing thing about the human brain is that it isn't static. It can change and grow.

11/20/2005 6:20 PM  
Blogger Dana said...

haha...I was thinking JAGERMEISTER!

I had to take one of the Praxis when I did the grad school thing (I dropped out after a year.) I had to get a tutor for the math part. I hated it. And there weren't even any Math classes in my grad program. Funny thing is that I will catch myself counting on my fingers occasionally...

xoxo

11/20/2005 6:37 PM  
Blogger hollibobolli said...

I can't help you my friend, except to cheer you on. I'm like the freaking rain man. High scores in all areas BUT math.. and it's like I have the bizarro brain when it comes to numbers. I rearranged my entire degree numerous times just to avoid college algebra. :)

I know you can do it. Score one for all us math rejects. Win one for the Gipper!!

11/20/2005 6:39 PM  
Blogger hollibobolli said...

Anne.. you FREAK!!!

11/20/2005 6:40 PM  
Blogger hollibobolli said...

I'm also convinced my brain is static.

Big LOTS!

11/20/2005 8:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home