Thursday, November 24, 2005

Holiday Blowout Day 3 (or The G-8 Summit)

Today we had a large number of guests eat Thanksgiving dinner with us. We had a couple from Russia, a woman from Panama, a woman from Kyrgyzstan, and my sister's neighbors from across the street - a couple from El Salvador. I was incorrect in saying that these were co-workers of my sister's. The Russians were found through the local student newsletter, and the others were part of an organization called the International Visitors Council. This organization hosts people from different countries and lets them interact with people here to do all kinds of stuff - like have a traditional Thanksgiving dinner.

While I think it's cool to meet people from other countries and show them at least some of what it means to be an American, I have to say that I did feel a little awkward with all of these strangers around. What with being antisocial and all, I guess it made me uncomfortable. My mom and my sister on the other hand are all about this kind of thing. In fact, it's been several years since we had a Thanksgiving dinner that was just our family. My mom is always inviting friends and people from church to dinner. I think my brother-in-law felt the same way I did - he left to go watch football in the living room after finishing his food.

I felt kind of sorry for the Russians, the husband was a student at Tulane and they were in New Orleans when Katrina hit. They rode out the storm on campus and eventually got evacuated to Huntsville, Texas. They got on a bus to evacuate with no idea where the bus was going. Their parents feared that they were dead because the news coverage made things look horrible in every part of New Orleans (even though some areas didn't flood) and there was no way to contact them to tell them they were alright. They are hoping to go back to New Orleans next semester to continue school there.

I guess it was interesting, but it seems like Thanksgiving should be for family. On the other hand, I'll have plenty of years to spend Thanksgiving as a crusty old hermit in the future, so I guess I shouldn't complain. Tomorrow we're going to Winston-Salem to see something or other. I hope all the rest of you had a good Thanksgiving!

5 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

Road Trip!

I have to say that I'm not the kind of person who would organize a holiday dinner with international people as attendees but my younger sister, the one in NYC, is really into this and I have always had a blast when she introduced me to international students, etc. I find getting their perspective on our tradition is pretty damn interesting as are their stories of where they are from and what they have experienced since coming here. We all came here from somewhere else and it's like a little rewind fast forward edition of the whole pilgrim experience.

Have fun tomorrow on your road trip.

11/24/2005 9:31 PM  
Blogger hollibobolli said...

Weird - that is the exact same crowd that was at my Aunt's today??

11/24/2005 11:43 PM  
Blogger kristen said...

I usually feel very shy when it comes to strangers although for the past 3 years we'd been going to T-day dinner on Staten Island and it was ALL strangers (except my friend hosting). We had only our incredibly small family last night and I have to say, it's really nice. No making nice, no sitting at the table when you just want to be away from it, etc.

Hope the rest of your trip is fun!

11/25/2005 6:36 AM  
Blogger JC said...

Yeah, I'm kind of an antisocial jerk sometimes...

And Holli - Nuh uh!

11/25/2005 11:13 AM  
Blogger Dana said...

Sometimes we just feel how we feel how we feel...

xoxo

11/25/2005 8:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home