Thursday, December 01, 2005

Holiday Leftovers

I think I am on the road to recovery (at least physically) - I have felt better the last 2 days. Mentally, not so much. I'll save that for another post.
I just wanted to wrap up the Thanksgiving posts with a few more pictures and a few more anecdotes:
* I had to sleep on an air mattress at my sister's house. When I first saw it, I thought "This is going to suck!" Surprisingly enough, it turned out to be very comfortable. It had a pump that plugs into the wall that would let you adjust the firmness by pressing a button. I set it to be about the same firmness as my mattress, and I didn't have to adjust it again all week.
* I kept seeing those commercials on TV for Target where they said you could get a wake up call for their day after Thanksgiving sale. I talked my sister into letting me sign her up for one. When I registered I found out you could also get a 'tuck-in' call. My sister said she wanted 'boring guy' as the tuck-in call. We were still awake when the call came, and I have to say it sounded more like 'creepy guy' than 'boring guy'. He read a math equation or something, but it sounded like some kind of serial killer. For the wakeup call my sister wanted the mariachi band. We were all asleep when this one came in, but we gathered around the answering machine later to hear it. It was a big disappointment. All we heard were about 2 notes of music and then someone saying 'Adios!'. Lame. It's possible that maybe the first part got cut off.
* Overall I really liked North Carolina. I liked being surrounded by so many trees, and there were some really nice old houses. Especially driving around Winston-Salem I was struck by how each house was different, unlike the suburban area where I live where every fifth house looks the same. It could stand to be a little warmer, though!
I tried to download this picture for the lemur post but it wouldn't work. Here it is now!


This is my sister's dog. He's cute but not the sharpest pencil in the box. Every morning he forgot that he met me the day before and would bark at me as if I was a stranger.


He was a total basket case anytime anyone would eat anything.



This is one of the buildings in Old Salem that I thought looked cool. It dates from the late 1700's.



This tree looked really pretty with the sun behind it.


This was the walkway that led to Old Salem. It was so cold that day!


Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

Nice pics sick boy. The tress are great.

Just one question about your sister's dog. Why does it have the harness on all the time? It makes it look like a special needs doggie.

12/01/2005 10:04 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Wow, change the "tress" to trees and cut me off at two sips of wine.

12/01/2005 10:05 PM  
Blogger JC said...

Yes, the tress rocked!

He actually kind of is a special needs dog - or at least it seems like that to me! Most of the time they do take the harness off, but he's also an escape artist and I think they feel like the harness gives them something to grab onto if he gets out.

12/01/2005 11:31 PM  
Blogger kristen said...

I like the pics, especially of the doggy going bonko for food. Hahah, I like that the doggy harness is for special needs. (=

You'd really like the homes here in my neck of the woods. All really old and there is some history here as well. Roosevelt had his summer homes here and yesterday I took my girl to the eye doctor and on the way home, I saw a historical site where Washington had his headquarters. I think a field trip is in order!!

12/02/2005 6:35 AM  
Blogger Dana said...

I am really intrigued by the whole Target having wake-up and tuck-in calls thing. And by the fact that you talked yuor sister in getting you guys one! Too funny!

In the fisrt pic of the dog, he looks like a pretend dog!

One thing I love about NC is that all 4 seasons are very prounounced. You get the full effect of what each season should feel like. (it is cold as hell though!)

I like the pics, you take some good ones!

12/02/2005 8:04 AM  
Blogger hollibobolli said...

You are too silly - I love that you blogged an entire segment about your experiences with an air mattress. And that your family gathered around for the Target "wake up" and "tuck in" call.. that sounds like something we would do.

Nate Nate has a special needs harness on 24/7 - but it's for his back. I just call it the "little doggie S&M device."

I'm glad you're feeling better. Don't overdo it!!

12/02/2005 3:28 PM  
Blogger JC said...

kiki - I forgot that there are some nice homes here in the historic district. I drove through there today on the way to the library.

baylor - thanks!

holli - I have what's called "a death grip on the trivial" - the smallest things can entertain me. I almost went running today, but my nose is still kind of messed up so I didn't. You'll be so proud.

12/02/2005 5:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home