Sunday, December 04, 2005

Car Battery and a Haircut - Two Bits

Since I do have a job interview coming up, it was time for me to get my hair cut. Especially since it hadn't been cut in about 3 and half months! People I know described it as 'fluffy'. Now, I'm not someone who puts a lot of effort into my hair. I usually get it cut at one of the discount chop shops. This time, however, I tried something different. Holli convinced me that I needed to get my hair cut at a proper salon. I was curious to see if my hair would look different, and I figured I needed to look my best for the interview.

So, yesterday it was off to the salon. To me, the results were OK. I don't see a big difference between the two haircuts, but maybe someone who knows more about hair can. I'm not convinced that my hair can see the full benefits of the salon treatment - it's very unruly. It sticks up, curls around, and generally just looks like a mess. About the only way it looks nice and straight is when I get it cut really short. Now, I will say that I'm not ready to give up completely on getting my hair cut at a 'real' place. I may have to try it again at some point after thinking more about what I want my hair to look like, and seeing what works and what doesn't. What can I say - I'm a hair idiot.

Something happened after my haircut that I felt was definitely blog-worthy. After my haircut I got in my car and tried to start it - and nothing happened. I tried to start it again, and again nothing. My car battery was dead! Panic momentarily ensued since I was about 25 miles from home with no cell phone. I opened my hood to try and make sure that the battery was really the problem, not the starter or alternator. I was standing there with the hood open and a man approached and asked if I was having trouble. I told him it wouldn't start. Luckily, this guy was parked about 3 cars down, and he had one of those gizmos that will jump start your car. He hooked it up, and voila, the car started right up. Thanks to anonymous man with gizmo!

I figured that it would behoove me to replace the battery as soon as possible. I knew where a nearby Wal Mart was located so I headed there. I try to avoid Wal Mart as much as possible, but I didn't know where any nearby auto parts stores were, and this was an emergency and I knew I could get a battery at Wal Mart. I was just in the mode where I needed this fixed and that was the best way I knew to do it at the time. I parked my car near the auto center because I figured that I might get them to install it for me. I parked my car, turned it off, and immediately tried to restart it. Sometimes if you don't let your car sit very long it will still start if the battery isn't completely drained. Nothing. That thing was deader than fried chicken. I was definitely getting a battery.

I went inside, picked out the proper battery for my car and went to pay for it. I had decided by this time that I would attempt to install the battery myself since there appeared to be tons of people waiting on oil changes and whatnot. You have to pay a $7 fee when you buy a new battery if you don't bring in your old battery for recycling. The lady asked me if I had my old battery and I said no, but that I could bring it to her in about 5 minutes! She waived the fee and I headed out to my car. I broke out the toolbox that I keep in the back seat. I had the negative terminal disconnected when someone approached me. "Sir, I can see that you've already started there, but we're not supposed to allow anyone to work on their cars in the parking lot." WTF!? This guy was one of the Wal Mart mechanics. He probably wanted to add "Mr. Fancy Hairdo" to the end of his sentence, but he didn't. I told him that this car wasn't going anywhere until I changed my battery since it was dead. I guess I convinced him because he let me continue without further harrassment. I suppose they want everyone to pay for their services, but the weird thing is that they don't charge anything to install a battery. So it's not like I was cheating them out of money or anything. Sheezus.

Situations like that make me extremely uncomfortable, so I finished changing out the battery as fast as I could so I could get out of there. It took me about 10 minutes I guess. I made sure the car would start, and it did. I carried the old one inside so the lady would see that I wasn't trying to scam her, and then I was on my way. All in all, this situation was resolved about as smoothly as possible, so I was pleased about that. And Michelle, 'Changing a car battery' is definitely going on my Can Do list!

6 Comments:

Blogger kristen said...

Wow. What a weekend. I like your practical thinking, I don't think I could have been clear-headed about all that....panic and tears would have definitely prevailed.

Take a photo of your new fancy hairdo and let your blogging friends be the judges.

Good luck on the job interview Tuesday. Even if it's not the job of your dreams, it can be the job to get you to your dreams and that counts for a lot.

12/04/2005 7:32 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I'm jealous of you for being able to put that on your can do list. My battery went dead about 2 weeks ago at work and I freaked. I got someone to jump start it and I headed directly over to Sears and got a new one. I had no tools with me. Agh! I'm glad this worked out for you, Mr. Fancy haircut. Good luck with the interview. I had one last Wednesday and am now biting my nails waiting to hear back.

12/04/2005 7:38 PM  
Blogger Dana said...

I too, would have freaked! You got it done! I love the way in which you blog the details!

Yes, pics of the haircut!

Good luck at the interview! You will do great!

12/04/2005 7:54 PM  
Blogger JC said...

I don't know if I want to post haircut pictures on the blog, but maybe we can work out an email deal.

12/04/2005 11:10 PM  
Blogger hollibobolli said...

I want to see the hair and judge this for myself. Did someone else besides me call your head fluffy??!?

At least you had fancy hair when you had a dead battery - that's probably why someone immediately helped you!!!

I'm coming to see that hair.

12/05/2005 2:08 PM  
Blogger JC said...

Thanks everybody!

Michelle - Damn, why didn't I think of Sears? That would have avoided the Wal Mart guilt. I hope you get good news from your interview.

Anne - I guess since I got what I wanted I don't need to write a letter. Now if they had made me stop, it would definitely be letter time!

I have jumper cables. My initial plan was to wait until someone parked next to me came out to their car so I could jump start mine. I do want one of those gadgets that will provide the juice, though.

Holli - You'll have to find me first! Muahahaha! Oh wait, you know where I live. And no, you were pretty much the only one who called my hair fluffy. At least to my face. I just didn't want you to think I was throwing you under the bus.

12/05/2005 3:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home