Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Umm, Where Are The Fried Oreos (or Are You Going to Joborough Fair?)

Today I went to a job fair. I wasn't quite sure what to expect, since I have never been to one of these things. So I put on my monkey suit, put some gel in my hair (side note: I finally found a good organic hair gel! Commence eye rolling), dabbed on some rouge (OK not really) and headed to the fair! Geez, I felt like such a dirty whore on the way down there. That's another thing I hate about corporate America - you have to pretend to be something you're not. I don't wear a suit every day. However, preserving your personal dignity doesn't pay so well.

The event started at 11AM, and my original plan was to be there right at 11 so I could get out of there as quickly as possible. Well, I think my reluctance to go is what led to my not leaving the house until 11:30. I got there about 11:45. I'm not sure why they call it a fair - there were neither ferris wheels nor corny dogs. There were tons of people there. It's a bit discouraging to someone who is unemployed to see that many other unemployed people in one room. There were only about 12 companies there. I picked a line for a company that I was interested in and commenced standing. This gave me a chance to look at the booklet they handed out at the door that listed the companies present and what they were looking for. I was able to cross off about half of them, as they were mostly looking for IT people.

The line I was in was extremely long, and I didn't think I wanted to stand there that long only to have them tell me to go to their website. I had looked at this company's website over the weekend, and they have many jobs listed, so I decided I would just apply online. I found a couple of lines that were much shorter and may have jobs in my area of expertise. So, I ended up just talking to 2 companies. Both of which referred me to their websites (but did take my resume). I think it was good to get some leads as far as which companies are hiring. And I gave the organizers my resume at the door, so I will be in the pool of resumes that the employers present will have access to. So I wouldn't characterize it as a complete waste of time.

Word of the day: fagwad.

This is actually left over from yesterday when I was frustrated at having to go to 2 grocery stores to get everything on my list.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger hollibobolli said...

Dear Lord in heaven above.. seeing a comment from "the real Mark Harmon" just made me spit Dr. Pepper all over my keyboard.

You certainly got there and back fast!!

Rouge and organic gel... sexy!! Pink knit cap with ear flaps?

Where's the word of the day? My word verification was "friyggat"

12/13/2005 2:32 PM  
Blogger JC said...

'Twas not far. I left the cap at home this time.

I will update with word of the day!

12/13/2005 2:52 PM  
Blogger Dana said...

I loved the word of the day! Also I think there probably was some corny ass dogs there! haha

At one of my internships in college, I was responsible for helping to organize job fairs. YUCK!

I hope you get a great bite from your trek to the fair! And hey, at least your hair looked dope!

12/13/2005 3:48 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Okay I use this same hair gell so no eye rolling from me. I had to say this right away because I'm nerdy enough to be stoked about the fact that you use it too. Okay, now I'll get back to your story.

12/13/2005 3:59 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Okay this is comment 2 but I have to say that you were probably a very dirty whore what with the hair gell, the suit, and the rouge. I just hope you wore your best heels and lace panties like I do when I'm looking for a job (this really works). The downside is that there weren't any carnies for you to practice your charms on while slowly eating a cornie dog. That most likely would have gotten you a really great job.

12/13/2005 4:06 PM  
Blogger kristen said...

WTH with your first commenter???

I'm too shy to do those job fair things. I slunk in the corner looking all shifty and it never amounts to much.

Rouge always makes for a perky complexion, esp. in the colder months.

12/13/2005 4:15 PM  
Blogger hollibobolli said...

Well crap, I guess I don't qualify as a dirty whore - what with my non-organic hair products.. and my Hello Kitty panties.

I'll just slink off somewhere and pout.

"Look.. a BUTT!!!" (JC made Faith say that last night)

12/14/2005 10:38 AM  
Blogger JC said...

Holli, don't cry. You'll always be a dirty whore to me.

12/14/2005 12:05 PM  
Blogger JC said...

Whores use rouge. Ladies pinch.

Michelle, I do have a pair of underwear that I consider to be my 'lucky' underwear. Although I didn't wear them yesterday. And I can no longer remember why I consider them to be lucky.

12/14/2005 12:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home