Saturday, December 31, 2005

On The Road Again!

I'm not quite sure where to start, it seems like the last week and a half have been a really busy blur. I do have some Christmas pictures to post but they will have to wait until I get home to my scanner. I've hit the road again and have landed at the Holliworld auxiliary compound (aka The Last Normal Place on Earth) in Oklahoma City. I'm very glad to not have to drive anywhere else for a few days!

Christmas was very nice. My parents and I stayed at my grandmother's house. My sister was not able to be there since she's relatively new at work and didn't get a lot of vacation time. I drove straight through to and from Alabama, which ended up being around an 11 hour trip this time. 11 hours driving by yourself isn't the most fun in the world. I did get to listen to a couple of audio books thanks to Holli: The Lovely Bones and Shopgirl. I had a couple of small quibbles with Bones, but I could find no fault with Shopgirl. I wish I hadn't missed the film version when it was in the theater, but the book is probably better anyway.

We all ate way too much food. My grandmother is really big on cooking breakfast everyday. It was nice at first, but towards the end of the week I needed a break. I don't eat much breakfast at home, usually just a bowl of cereal and some coffee. It kind of messed up my eating schedule, leading to some headache issues. The coffee at my grandmother's house was also half-caf, so I had to drink a lot of coffee to get my usual dose of caffeine. My parents and I went to see Capote, which I was shocked to see playing in Huntsville, Alabama. Including my parents and me, there were only 5 people in the theater! I also got in a couple of runs while I was there. I found out that I can run wearing only shorts and a T-shirt when it is 38 degrees outside. I didn't know how cold it was when I first stepped outside. The first lap was little rough, but I warmed up after that. I think the couple that passed me running the other way thought I was nuts (they were quite bundled up).

It has been nice being a bit of a layabout (more than usual) here in OKC. We are going to a New Year's Eve party tonight, I think we all need a nap or it will be tough to make it to midnight! Happy New Year to everyone!

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

Okay, Shopgirl, Capote and running all in one post? Where do I start? Shopgirl is amazing and you do need to read the book. How was Capote? PSH was brilliant, no?

I too can wear only shorts and a T-shirt in 38 degree weather but only if I have gloves and a hat on. And people always feel the need to ask me if I'm cold which is moronic. Happy New Year!

12/31/2005 1:27 PM  
Blogger kristen said...

I'm dying to see Capote ~ what did you think?? I never read Shopgirl but will now have to.

Happy New Year and have a great time at the party and also, in OKC!!

12/31/2005 1:38 PM  
Blogger JC said...

Michelle - The audio book of Shopgirl was pretty good. It was read by Steve Martin. It was unabridged and only runs about 4 hours. I thought Capote was excellent, PSH will definitely get an Oscar nom. It made me want to read In Cold Blood again.

Kiki - I highly recommend Capote!

12/31/2005 6:37 PM  
Blogger kristen said...

JC, definitely read In Cold Blood again. I re-read it for book club last month and it was incredible all over again. I can't convince anyone to go see it with me though ~ I guess I'll be hans solo.

12/31/2005 8:16 PM  
Blogger Jan said...

Hope you enjoy your time with Faith Holli and the wonderful Nate Nate.

I miss Winmx as I was always downloading audio books from them. They kept me company on many a car ride when my Mum was in hospital.

12/31/2005 8:49 PM  
Blogger hollibobolli said...

The year of the Nate Nate quickly turned into the year of the Not Not.

1/01/2006 11:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home