Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Paging Mr. Schmo

I realize that I'm way behind the curve on this one, but I recently just watched Joe Schmo Season 1 on DVD and I thought it was really entertaining. When it was on originally, a guy that I worked with saw it and told me it was funny. I couldn't watch it at that time because I didn't get that channel on my basic cable package. Then when Holli mentioned it a few weeks ago, I knew I had to rent it from Netflix. I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised by how entertaining this show was.

If you're not familiar with the show, the basic premise is that they took a group of actors and one 'regular' guy and put them in a house together. The regular guy, or 'Joe Schmo', thought that this was a real reality show called The Lap of Luxury where the last person left in the house would win $100,000. The actors were in on the gag. There were the usual reality show competitions every week to see who would win immunity, and one person would get voted off every week. One of the things that was really funny about this show was that it parodied all the reality show cliches. Among the group of actors was 'The Gay Guy', 'The Asshole', 'The Rich Bitch', and 'The Virgin'. The host was billed as 'The Smarmy Host'. These actors were way over the top, and it was fun to see the regular guy, Matt, interact with these people. The 'Gay Guy' sounded like Tony Montana. One of the funniest characters to me was Hutch, The Asshole. His fake asshole behavior really cracked me up. I also loved how each contestant had their own 'Lap of Luxury' plate with their picture on it. When they got voted off, their plate was smashed by the host in a fireplace. Too funny! It really made the most of a lot of the stupid things that happen on 'real' reality shows.

Some of the competitions were really funny too, like Hands on a Hooker and the talent show. The talent show featured Matt doing his beat-boxing, which was just completely hilarious. I also liked the gay guy's magic show with crappy non-tricks, and Hutch's completely sincere version of 'America the Beautiful'.

The other thing that was really enjoyable about this show was Matt himself. They went out and found one of the nicest guys in America. For the most part he was so nice to everyone, even when all this crazy shit was going on around him. He seemed very genuine, and he when he finds out it was all fake he's even worried about having done anything to have hurt the actors' feelings. There was something kind of touching about how nice this guy was, and the actors all ended up just loving this guy. If you haven't seen this show yet, I highly recommend it.

6 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

I have to see this show. I HATE reality shows and so I think I would really like this.

1/18/2006 12:13 AM  
Blogger hollibobolli said...

You totally forgot the "Ashes to Ashes, Dust to Dust.. ___ you're dead to us." SMASH!! part of the eviction ceremony.

I think they should fire people that way.

1/18/2006 10:04 AM  
Blogger Dana said...

This was the FUNNIEST show ever. I can't remember, did he cry when he found out it was a hoax?

He really was so sweet! The "hands on the hooker"...I forgot about that, that was SO funny. Poor Matt. He really could not believe that one guy (who was his BFF in the house, was in on it! haha

1/18/2006 2:26 PM  
Blogger JC said...

Michelle - Let us know what you think if you watch this.

Holli - you're right, that was genius!

Baylor - He did cry some at the end, but he seemed to be a really good sport about the whole thing.

1/18/2006 2:58 PM  
Blogger hollibobolli said...

People with that last name are just the best!

1/19/2006 5:44 PM  
Blogger JC said...

You're right Holli, every Schmo I've ever met has just been so sweet! ;)

1/19/2006 11:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home