Monday, December 03, 2007

Under Pressure

I'm starting to freak out a little about things that I have to do for school. This week is finals week. It will be busy, but not exceedingly difficult. I'm more worried about next semester. Next semester is supposed to be my last one, but there's a big "but". I have to have a certain amount of library experience before I get my degree. Since I have never worked in a library, that means that I have to find a job somehow. I really thought that the school would help me out more with this, but that doesn't seem to be the case. It appears as though I'm pretty much on my own. That means that I have to do maybe the one thing that scares me more than anything else in this world - I have to cold-call people and beg them for a job. "Hi. You don't know me, and I have no experience. Wanna give me a job?"

While it is to the employer's benefit that they don't have to pay me while I work there, the duties performed are supposed to be of professional-level. So since I have never worked in a library before that means that if someone decides to give me this experience they are going to have to give me a lot of training. So despite the fact that I come free-of-charge, they're going to have to take a lot of time out of their day to train my dumb ass. Who would want to do that? What's in it for them besides the good will of someone they may never see again?

Another sucky part is that I have to register for a class to log this experience. But they won't let me register for it until I have something lined up. So that means I have about a month to find something before it is too late to register. Otherwise I may have to tack on another semester. Although I guess if I find something between spring registration and the start of the summer semester and get the required work hours then I could apply for a waiver on the class. I'm not too thrilled with my advisor right now.

Considering that today I really screwed myself by not getting enough sleep (lowering my IQ by about, oh, 50 points or so), I'm going to bed now!

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger REENblack said...

Oh man, that sucks. Did they tell you about this before, or just kind of spring it on you--"hey, why haven't you done this yet?"

I'm sure someone will see the benefit of hiring you! Scary, but well worth it in the end!

12/04/2007 8:39 AM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

yuck. sounds like a big bad catch 22. but don't freak out. something will come up. get your diligence on!

12/04/2007 9:00 AM  
Blogger Deb R said...

Damn! I'm really surprised (and disappointed on your behalf) that the school doesn't give students some sort of help lining up internships! Sending good thoughts your way that you'll find something in time to not delay everything.

PS...on a MUCH less serious note, look for your name on my blog tomorrow. I just got a silly little award/tag thingy and I'm passing it on to you. :-)

12/04/2007 5:20 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm sure if you are anything like me, a little pressure will get your butt in gear and you will find something in no time!! Its the projects that I have months and months to work on that kill me...I leave it to the last possible second and then freak out. Don't sell yourself short! Any library would be very lucky to get you!

12/04/2007 8:15 PM  
Blogger JC said...

Thanks guys! You helped spur me into action! I really appreciate it. Barbara, you were right on about the pressure.

And Deb, I'll definitely be tuning in tomorrow!

12/04/2007 8:48 PM  
Blogger hollibobolli said...

well, I missed out on the stress. I'm glad it turned out for the best.

12/05/2007 4:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home