Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Give Up The Funk

Ugh. Yesterday my olfactory system was assaulted in a way that it rarely has been before. Somebody at work smelled absolutely putrid. This smell made Baby Powder Man seem like a dream of heaven itself (Baby Powder Man has become mostly a non-issue. He's able to work from home now, which he does quite a bit). We are in the process of moving from one floor to another at work, so I am in temporary quarters until about the middle of December. I've been in my temporary spot for about 3 weeks. Yesterday was the first time this awful incident happened. The fact that I'm in a new area made it difficult to determine where the smell was coming from.

I'm not even sure I can describe this odor. It smelled like a man does when he doesn't take a shower. For like two days. It wasn't straight B.O. It was B.O. plus sweat plus old man smell plus bad cologne plus yot. Basically it was like I had a dirty armpit right under my nose all day.

I usually eat lunch at my desk. Yesterday I'm afraid that was impossible. I guess I could have tried to eat while only breathing through my mouth, but I do like to fully taste my food. Smell is an important component of taste. I gave it a good try, but I just couldn't do it. I went downstairs and ate in my car in the parking garage. And then went back up to stink city. If I had a laptop at work I would have moved in a heartbeat, but I'm tied to a desktop. I tried to dissipate the funk with the fan that I keep in my cubicle, but to no avail. It didn't help that I wasn't entirely sure who the offender was. By the end of the day I think I may have figured it out though. Luckily this person does not seem to be in the office too much. If this happens again I don't think I'm going to be able to handle it. I better stock up on air freshener.


On a completely unrelated note, check out this temperature drop (you can click on the image to see a larger view). We went from 70 last night to 39.9 tonight! Looks like something approaching fall is finally here. Good thing I'm going to Arizona tomorrow!


Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Deb R said...

Damn. When someone smells so bad that you'd rather eat in a parking garage than near that person, that's, well...that's BAD. Gaaahh!!! Here's hoping you see - or more to the point, smell! - very little of the person in question.

11/23/2007 2:12 PM  
Blogger REENblack said...

LOL Thats horrible. Sad to say that is seriously how MOST um .... well ... people ... were ... I used to live smelled!!! When you would get in line at a store behind one of then you would have to hold your breath in order not to gag. No exaggeration! And god forbid one of them come fix something in your house...you'd have to leave windows open for hours to let the stench out!!! But to have to endure that ALL day...that sucks!!!

11/26/2007 11:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home