Sunday, November 11, 2007

Rant Time

Alright, I have to go on a bit of a rant here. I’ve tried to stifle it, but I can’t. I just need to get this out of my system. And it’s all the more appropriate on Veterans Day.

Last Tuesday was Election Day. Do you know what percentage of registered voters in my county actually voted last Tuesday? 7.64%. That’s 7 as in less than 10. That is absolutely fucking pathetic. You hear people all the time talk about how “freedom isn’t free” and “you should thank a veteran for fighting for your rights”, etc. You know what those phrases are? Words. A bunch of meaningless words. If people really believed that, they would vote. Do you know how many people around the world would kill just to have that opportunity? I know of at least three people who read this blog who either live in or have lived in places where people couldn’t vote, and it wasn’t all that long ago either. Within the last twenty years in fact. And people here just don’t care. Couldn’t care less. Go eat a Twinkie and watch TV. I heard America’s Funniest Home Videos is on. And I never want to hear you complain about what’s wrong with our country again.

People in this country walk around with their chests puffed out about what a great democracy the United States is. How great can it be if so many people just throw away one of our most basic rights? Is it any wonder that politicians don’t have the slightest bit of concern for the average person? Not even half of the people in this country care enough to cast a vote. Look at this list. The US is number 139 out of 172 in election turnout since 1945. Utterly pathetic.

48% is bad, but I can possibly some concede some arguments about why that isn't a complete disaster. But 7.64%? What. a. joke. And I know you’re probably thinking “Who died and made you the election police?” Well, this is my opinion and it’s as valid as anyone else’s.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Deb R said...

I think even 48% is pathetic, but less than 8%??? Yikes!! Rant-worthy indeed.

I don't know yet what our turnout was in this county because our local paper is a weekly and that info will be in the issue coming out in a couple of days. I'm curious to find out! I know there was some really heavy campaigning going on for the governor's race in Kentucky, so I hope turnout was up!

I feel such an obligation to all the people who came before me who fought for me to have a right to vote, that I feel like I'm letting down lots more people besides myself if I don't vote, so I'm pretty fanatical about getting to the polls. If I know I can't make it that day, I'll vote via absentee ballot rather than skip it!

11/11/2007 10:52 PM  
Blogger REENblack said...

That is quite pathetic...I couldn't tell you what it is where I'm from...and honestly I didn't vote because I got my absentee ballet in the mail too late. Doesn't do any good if it won't count.

11/12/2007 8:24 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

When I took my government classes two semesters ago, we went over those same figures and I remember being outraged. I agree its pretty sad, but then again the last time I voted was to get Perry out. I need to just take the time and not use kids/school/etc as excuses.

11/12/2007 6:14 PM  
Blogger weddingproject-us said...

You can rant. Please do.

I cannot believe it's less than 10%.And people complain, then go shopping at walmart and watch fox news. per-fect.

11/12/2007 7:00 PM  
Blogger Deb R said...

I know you posted this nearly a week ago, but I just had to pop back to tell you that I looked up our county's turnout numbers in the paper this past week - 38% here. Still pathetic, but better than 7-ish%. Sigh...

11/16/2007 11:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home