Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Gogol Bordello

Sunday night I went to see the band Gogol Bordello in concert. They have only recently entered my consciousness. I first heard of them through seeing the movie “Everything Is Illuminated” because their frontman plays Alex in the film and they have some songs on the soundtrack. I don’t even have any of their CDs (soon to be rectified), I had only listened to some of their samples on Amazon. I had also read about them on the message board of another band that I frequent, and this point was made over and over: “You must see them live!” This point was correct.

The band describes their genre as Gypsy-punk, which I would say is as accurate a description as you could probably get. They combine elements of Ukrainian, Gypsy, rock, reggae, and punk music into their sound. The unusual elements for a “punk” band are accordion and fiddle. You can hear some of their songs on their MySpace page. I can see it not being for everyone. You will probably know right away whether their music is something you will like or not after the first few notes. I likes it. They have some videos on the YouTubes too.

I didn’t plan to get to the theater as early as I usually do because I didn’t feel like I wanted to be all the way front and center this time. I heard that things get a little hectic up there at a Gogol Bordello show. This is true. I didn’t really feel up to being in a mosh pit. I’m too old, and it’s really not my bag anyway. I got a good spot off to the side. The theater has a tiered arrangement, so I got at the front of the second tier so that I could hopefully see over anyone in front of me unless they were 8 feet tall.

Speaking of being old, that’s how I felt when the opening act played. It was a band called Dub Trio. I really wasn’t into them at all. I say I felt old because toward the end of their set all I could think of was “this just sounds like noise”. You know, just like some old fart says about “kids and their music today”. I just wanted them to go away. For what it’s worth I don’t think too many of the other people there were into them either. But hey, I gave them a fair shot.

Now to Eugene Hutz. He’s the frontman of the band. He’s one of those people that has “charisma”. He just has that “it” factor where you can’t take your eyes off of him. He could sell ice to an Eskimo. I love his accent. And his energy level is just crazy - I don’t think he stood still for more than 3 seconds at any point during the 2 hour show. You can tell in my photos because most of the ones with him in them have some kind of blur. There wasn’t a lot of banter between songs, Eugene just started strumming his guitar immediately after the end of each song and launched into the next one with the exception of about 3 songs. I looked at their tour schedule and I don’t know how he does it night after night. There’s not much down time there.

The fact that I wasn’t very familiar with their songs in no way kept me from enjoying the experience. The energy in the place was about as frenetic as I’ve ever seen at a concert. There were multiple incidents of crowd surfing, stage diving, and general ruckus raising. Many people pogo-ing like crazy. I saw one of the biggest mohawks I’ve ever seen. I saw people dressed like Gypsies. I was impressed - I honestly didn't think Dallas had it in it. I had the perfect spot off to the side. I could see everything without getting pummeled. But even though it was frenetic it wasn’t an ugly energy. It was people having a good time. I think it was the only natural reaction to the energy that was coming from the stage. It’s never felt more natural to me to clap along with the music. I don’t know, there was just something really cool about seeing this band play their hearts out on stage. Not to be all touchy-feely about it, but you got the feeling that there is nothing that these people would rather be doing than being up there playing their guts out. And that’s really cool. Go read Eugene’s “Intro Word” on their MySpace page to get an idea where he’s coming from.

I would unreservedly recommend going to see Gogol Bordello if you have a chance. The next time they roll through here, God willing, I will be there.










Yep, that's a luchador mask.



OK, for this song Eugene decided to wear a long red wig and some bright red pumps.
Why? I dunno.



















Nothing says "party" like a big bass drum.



Eugene plays his fire bucket.

I love this pose.



















Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Anne said...

whoa JC...I thoroughly enjoyed living vicariously through your concert experience. Did you take you nice camera there or just a little point and shoot?!

You had me at red pumps.

10/24/2007 4:28 PM  
Blogger kristen said...

Thank you for turning me onto this guy. I loved that book, Everything is Illuminated and really want to see the movie. And I've just read a book about Gypsy's so this band is appealing. I love the photos, it sounds like it was a lively show.

You wanna feel old, go ref roller derby, I'm a freaking geezer.

10/25/2007 9:07 AM  
Blogger Admin said...

wow they seem totally crazy. that's cool.

10/25/2007 3:46 PM  
Blogger JC said...

anne - 'twas the real camera. I have to shoot these concerts at ISO1600. Bit noisy, but better than nothing.

kiki - he's so good in the movie. I look forward to seeing how the movie and book compare - I've only seen the movie.

kh - crazy like a fox! Or something.

10/25/2007 8:14 PM  
Blogger SleekPelt said...

Hi, JC. I found you through A Confederacy of Dunces. Anyway, I know Gogol Bordello is making some noise on the college charts, but I hadn't listened to them (him?) until your post prompted me to check out their MySpace dealio. Based on what I heard there and your photos, Gogol Bordello is now on my must-see list.

10/26/2007 11:55 AM  
Blogger weddingproject-us said...

hey where is my comment? Totally lost in cyberspace. These pics are cool and I love this band. They really bring the movie to another level.

These guys and Yann Tiersen always make me think of fall weather. (I have no idea why I relate gypsies and fall weather) Cheers jc.

10/26/2007 7:31 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

viva la accordion!

10/30/2007 9:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home