Sunday, October 14, 2007

School on a Saturday?

Yesterday I had to go to school for the second lab in my preservation class. Unfortunately my very cute prof is still married. Oh well. I think this may be the first prof I have ever had that is younger than me. Kinda makes me feel old.

Yesterday we did 2 encapsulations (sealing an object in polyester for protection), repaired pages that have been removed from a book (two different ways), replaced a book spine, and archivally matted an object. We each got a book to tear pages out of and then put them back in so they will stay (I need more practice on that part), and also to replace the spine material. I still like this hands-on stuff.

I have a research paper due a week from tomorrow, so I'll be putting in lots of work on that. I'm writing about paper deacidification. I'm sure that just sounds incredibly exciting to all y'all!

On a different note, the Big O Blog has a download of one of the Tom Waits shows from the tour last summer. I listened to it this afternoon, and it sounds great! And pg, I don't know if you can download from the road, but they also have a download of a "lost" album from The Band.

Ugh, they're saying it's going to be raining during rush hour tomorrow morning. It's going to take me 2 hours to get to work. Lord help us all.



Polyester encapsulation


Polyester encapsulation

Matted drawing


A look at the interior. It's held in place with Japanese paper and rice starch paste.


We removed the spines from our books and replaced them with the orange buckram that you can see in this photo. The outer part of the original spine is then pasted to the outside of the buckram.





Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger REENblack said...

I am still very intrigued by that class! At least the hands on part gets you out of the books for a day...oh wait...never mind! Thanks for sharing the pics!

10/15/2007 7:01 AM  
Blogger hollibobolli said...

Okay, I just finished downloading all the JB songs.. yay!

I actually think the class sounds really interesting.

10/15/2007 1:00 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

oh the skills you're learning!

10/15/2007 3:30 PM  
Blogger JC said...

It's really fun doing the hands-on stuff. I should add that if one was really doing a spine replacement, one would use a buckram color that would match or complement the original book. The orange was just some extra stuff that was lying around!

10/15/2007 9:59 PM  
Blogger Vanessa said...

I thought the orange looked kinds snazzy ;)
Thanks for your comments on my blog, JC.
So, what food fun are you planning to share this week?! The snorkeling mask shot is hilarious :)
Vx

10/16/2007 4:09 AM  
Blogger weddingproject-us said...

Hey ya
Your class sounds fun. I had to learn on my own how to do the rice paste/paper. That's how I mounted my paintings on paper to board last summer.It's amazing howsuper strong that stuff is. I have hand sewn books back together-once for a book in a coffee shop.
And wow wow wow-lost Band. I just love my Band. Very ultra cool. I've always wanted to down load something.
peace out man!

10/17/2007 9:12 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

simply amazing. incredibly delicate and beautiful.

10/19/2007 5:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home