Thursday, October 11, 2007

Odds and Ends

I downloaded the new Radiohead album today. I've only listened to it about 1 and half times (OK 2 since I wrote this post) so far, so I haven't had time to really absorb it yet. I have to listen to something 5 or 6 times before I really start to bond with certain songs. I really like the songs on it, but I am disappointed in the sound quality. The mp3 tracks are only 160Kbps, which is on the low end of mp3 quality. And I can tell. I really wish that they would have noted this bit rate somewhere on the page that gave the details of the download. At best this download serves as a good teaser for the CD release. In my opinion you shouldn't pay a lot of money for the download, because buying the CD is pretty much a necessity if you are at all concerned about sound quality. If you only listen to music using the earbuds on your ipod while you are doing other things you may be OK with this, but if you ever listen to music at home on your computer or stereo (especially with headphones) you will want the CD (or vinyl for you analog folks).



Did you see that Esquire named Charlize Theron the sexiest woman alive? It's hard to argue with this:



Speaking of gross stuff, I have a pretty gnarly photo. I don't want people who aren't into gross stuff to be subjected to this, so you'll have to click on a link to view it. Don't say I didn't warn you. It's a picture of one of my chigger bites. Click here if you dare. Imagine my shock yesterday when I pulled my sock down to see this monstrosity. I've never had a bug bite that produced this kind of reaction. I noticed it at about 1PM yesterday while I was at work. I didn't know what would happen if I popped it so I had to live with this thing for 4 hours until I was at home. I put a band-aid on it after I lanced it. It looks better today but there's still a lump in there. I hope it gets better soon.

Labels:

11 Comments:

Blogger Deb R said...

Dayum!!! I've had more chigger bites in my life than I like to think of and I've never had one do anything like that. It makes me wonder if you had some other kind of bite in among the chiggers. Hope it gets better soon!

10/11/2007 10:42 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Good God son that is nasty! Did a lot of baby chiggers come out when you popped it? Now I will have nightmares, I hope you are happy

10/12/2007 12:05 AM  
Blogger Zu said...

What the heck is a chigger, and why in God's name did it leave that!? I'm surfing the net with my phone and for some reason my phone saved your photo to my memory card. Geesh!

10/12/2007 3:53 AM  
Blogger luzie said...

of course i dared click on the link. and as easily freaked out as i am by that kind of stuff, i wasn't this time. compared to what i've seen after my surgery.. well, frankly, that chigger is nothing! LOL. hope that bite is getting better soon though!

10/12/2007 4:02 AM  
Blogger kristen said...

so i want to know, how much did you pay? we've been going back and forth about what we'll pay for the download, especially since my husband still wants the CD when it comes out...

10/12/2007 6:11 AM  
Blogger JC said...

deb - thanks!

amy - the actual chiggers are long gone by the time you see a bite, so at least I have that going for me, which is good.

hobby - here is a link where you can read all about chiggers. short version: They're little red mites that bite you and make you itch a lot.

luzie - thanks, and I'm glad it seemed minor to you, that makes me feel better!

kiki - I paid $7 for the download, but now that I now I'm buying the CD for sure I wish I had paid less.

10/12/2007 6:50 AM  
Blogger REENblack said...

Sorry to hear about the download...that blows. At least you now know if it is offered in the future!

OMG I've been hearing about chiggers but had no idea what their bite would do! I'm glad you shared that pic 'cause my new puppy had one of those on her belly the other day and I was freaking out! Phew I feel much better now. :-) (BTW, not knowing what it was I popped it and cleaned it and it looks just fine now--three days later.)

10/12/2007 7:32 AM  
Blogger paintergirlFLA said...

Ahhhh-the bite the bite. Who knew they would look so bad.
We'll be buying the cd, no downloads for us now.

10/12/2007 7:42 AM  
Blogger BJ said...

Oooooow! Hope you are on the mend!

10/12/2007 5:36 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

will have to pass on any curiosity i might have about your swollen and oozing chigger bite. but thanks for wanting to share! i heard about the radiohead download on NPR this morning. they allowed you to determine how much you'd pay for it, right? do you mind telling?

10/12/2007 6:53 PM  
Blogger hollibobolli said...

I'm just not sure I agree with the Charlize Theron thing.

I halfway looked at the bugbite - I'm sceeeeered.

Okay, I'm going to wait for the cd, I think.

Btw - where can I get the plugin to make my windows media thing rip songs to mp3s? These damned wmas won't upload to all my whatchamahootchies!

10/15/2007 1:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home