Wednesday, October 10, 2007

SPC - Food and Me 2

This is the second week of the Self Portrait Challenge theme for October - "Food and Me". I don't have any artistic pretensions with this week's shot. This is me slicing an onion while wearing my snorkeling mask. I hate how irritated my eyes get when cutting onions, so wearing the mask is a good way to avoid that. I've tried all the other tricks - chilling the onion first, slicing the non-root end first, yada, yada, yada, and none of them seem to work so there you have it.

In addition to eating things completely from a box, like last week's shot, I also sometimes eat things that require a little more prep work. In this case I was actually slicing up some veggies to add to a boxed jambalaya mix. I like to add onion, tomato, bell pepper, and garlic (although when I made this I added a little too much garlic). It makes things taste a lot better, and it's a good way to consume more fresh veggies.




The end product

To see what other people are doing with food, click here to visit the Self Portrait Challenge website.

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Kimberley McGill said...

ahhhhh! 'tis the notorious masked chef - :)

10/10/2007 11:49 PM  
Blogger adriene crimson said...

when I saw the goggles I had to read the story and completely laughed out loud. what an INGENIOUS idea!! Does it really work?

10/10/2007 11:56 PM  
Blogger REENblack said...

LOL I Love the goggles!!! That is just awesome!!!

10/11/2007 9:49 AM  
Blogger kristen said...

How clever! I read just last night in a magazine at work that putting an onion in the freezer for 10 min. prior to chopping and you have no problems...I think your way is better.
The photo cracked me up, making me think of that corn ball movie Notting Hill and goggles.

10/11/2007 10:17 AM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

goggles!? was it successful?

10/11/2007 12:52 PM  
Blogger Deb R said...

I think you should lie like a rug and say the goggles are purely a fashion statement. :-)

10/11/2007 1:09 PM  
Blogger hollibobolli said...

there are a so many reasons I love you - this is just one of them. You are too eccentric to be a storybook character.

10/11/2007 2:12 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Saucy!

10/11/2007 3:42 PM  
Blogger JC said...

Yes, it totally works! The one big drawback is that the mask fogs up pretty quickly so you have to be somewhat speedy in slicing the onion. Although if necessary you can step away from the onion and remove the mask for a little bit and it will clear up.

kimberley - that's me!

ac - thanks, you should try it!

rb - awesome? cool, thanks!

kiki - i remembered another trick that I tried was to suck on an ice cube while slicing the onion(I read that tip somewhere). It didn't work. I haven't seen Notting Hill.

bekka - yeppers. How do you do it?

deb - they are rather suave, huh?

h - thank you, I'm all about teh eccentric.

barb - me or the jambalaya?! I'll just assume you meant me.

10/11/2007 6:10 PM  
Blogger weddingproject-us said...

Ha! Love that mask and kiki mentioning Notting Hill. I have tried placing the cut onion near an open flame, doesn't work.

10/11/2007 9:19 PM  
Blogger luzie said...

LOL! what a fun picture- i will have to dig out my goggles the next time i slice onions. i always cry like a baby after the first cut! and the end product looks yummy.

10/12/2007 4:05 AM  
Blogger Vedrana M. said...

cool :) operation onion, lol great photos!

10/13/2007 1:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home