Sunday, October 28, 2007

La Cucaracha

I received my grade on the research paper that I worked so hard on, and the hard work paid off! So I got that going for me, which is nice. This weekend was a little bit of a break from my studies because as of Friday I caught up with everything that was due. It seems like this semester is pretty light on the workload. I'm not sure if that's because it's the first set of classes that I'm taking since the two in five weeks that nearly killed me (therefore making anything else seem easy) or if the classes are just easy ones. Either way, I'll take it.

My favorite band, Ween, released a new album last week. It's called La Cucaracha. I'm really digging it, although there are a few songs that have taken longer to catch on with me than others. I think there are two that may not catch on at all, but that's not a bad batting average. You can hear some of the songs on their MySpace page. I think it's funny that Dean has said in an interview that he wants Taco Bell to use "Fiesta" in a commercial. He claims to be dead serious too. "Blue Balloon" is classic old-school Ween. "Object" is really creepy, but I really like it. It's creepy because it's written from the point of view of a serial killer. Yeah. But it sounds like Al Green. "My Own Bare Hands" is some classic Deaner-rock. I first heard "Your Party" at the show I went to in Austin back in August. I remember thinking that it was OK but maybe a bit too mellow. It's really starting to grow on me though. I think the lyrics are hilarious. My favorite part is when he's dreaming about throwing his own party. Gener does kind of sound like David Bowie in this song, but there's some other singer from an 80s band that I think he sounds like even more, but I can't quite put my finger on it yet.

I'm disappointed that they included another version of "Friends" on this record, since they just put out an EP in June that had that song on it, and it's a pretty annoying song. Although I do like the lyric "a friend's a friend who knows what being a friend is". I thought it was going to be a completely different version on this album, but it's not very different at all. Not sure why they picked that one to release twice. "Learnin' To Love" is a great ridiculous "hoedown" type of song that would have been right at home on 12 Golden Country Greats. Overall it's a nice solid record. It'll make you laugh, it'll make you cry - what more could you want?


Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Deb R said...

"what more could you want?"

A cover that doesn't feature a big, icky bug? Just sayin'... :-D

10/30/2007 8:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home