Monday, November 26, 2007

Spicy

On Saturday we went spice shopping. That's right - spice shopping. One time when I was here my mom had this bottle of the most amazing cinnamon I had ever smelled or tasted. Since oatmeal is one of my new dietary staples, and I sometimes like to add cinnamon to my oatmeal, I asked if we could go to the spice emporium.

This place is about an hour south of Tucson. When you walk in the door you are hit by an amazing aroma that is a blend of the hundreds of different spices that they sell at this place. They have all kinds of spices, from the basics to the obscure. When we got there there were only about 3 people there, but by the time we left the place was packed. I got some Vietnamese cinnamon, green chile powder, dried green chile pieces, Chinese five spice powder, mole poblano powder, and some green salsa. After I told my mom to smell the Alder smoked sea salt she had to buy it, and she gave me half. We put some on the steak we had that night, and it was great. I can't wait to try the cinnamon in my oatmeal!




Gotta love palm trees in November. It was actually kind of chilly, though!




Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi JC. I have started to unpack over at my new bloggy home. houseofme.wordpress.com
I am also still posting stuff at shake your booty too.

11/26/2007 6:04 PM  
Blogger hollibobolli said...

I have no idea where you are - but if you're traveling back from your trip, it probably wasn't a good idea for me to call you at 7am this morning.

That sea salt sounds AMAZING. I want some!!!!

11/26/2007 8:13 PM  
Blogger Deb R said...

That sounds like a fun shop! I like Vietnamese cinnamon too. :-)

11/26/2007 11:07 PM  
Blogger Anna said...

Oooh what's Vietnamese cinnamon like? You got some awesome spices! Any ideas what you are going to do with them yet? I am impressed by your self control - I would have walked out with half the store.

11/27/2007 10:52 PM  
Blogger REENblack said...

A whole store for spice??? Crazy! I hardly know what to do with an isle of spice! I really need to learn how to cook!! haha

11/28/2007 8:26 AM  
Blogger weddingproject-us said...

mmmm...cinnamon. I can't believe there is a store of spices, how very exciting.

And tell me how the Chinese 5 spice is. I have a recipe for tea eggs that you use 5 spic.

11/28/2007 6:43 PM  
Blogger JC said...

h - perhaps I can spare some.

a - Vietnamese cinnamon has a more intense aroma and flavor than other cinnamons. It even has a little bit of a spicy kick to it. It may be more suited for savory dishes than sweet ones. I definitely need to find a mole recipe. I'm hoping to make some kind of sauce out of the green chile powder, and the 5 spice will be good for stir frys. And it wasn't self control - it was poverty!

rb - yep, a whole store. I should have taken a photo of the inside.

pg - I'll let you know. I love Trader Joe's 5 spice sauce. I figured with the powder I can make my own.

11/28/2007 7:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home