Sunday, December 02, 2007

At The Movies

Yesterday I went to see a movie for the first time in forever. I went to see No Country For Old Men. I thought it was really good. I had a reaction very similar to my reaction to two other Coen brothers movies, Fargo and The Big Lebowski. The first time I saw both of those films I liked them but I was also struck by this kind of "what. the. hell. was. that?!" feeling. Again, not in a bad way. Those two films are now among my all-time favorites. I don't know if it's me or the films, but there's something about them that makes them better with subsequent viewings, and NCFOM is no exception. I'm dying to see it again.

The actors in the movie are great. Tommy Lee Jones is Tommy Lee Jones. Javier Bardem is uber-creepy. Kelly MacDonald, who I've adored since Trainspotting and is Scottish as all get-out, nails the Texas accent. Josh Brolin is perfect as Llewelyn, and Woody Harrelson (who doesn't get enough recognition IMHO) is good too. It's quite violent, if violence in movies bothers you I would advise you to skip it.

Here's a trailer for your viewing pleasure:

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Deb R said...

That still isn't showing anywhere near me and I really want to see it, dammit!!!

12/02/2007 10:50 PM  
Blogger Anna said...

The trailers are enough to creep me out; the movie itself would probably make my head explode. I have heard nothing but good things about it though. Did you find it difficult to sit through at all?

12/03/2007 7:23 AM  
Blogger hollibobolli said...

Dammit - I want to watch the trailer but I have to hurry and get ready for the endodontist. I need to view violence. Maybe when I get back.

12/03/2007 9:43 AM  
Blogger paintergirlFLA said...

ok as soon as I saw the trailer, I said to Joe, "the next coen movie is way ultra violent". I bet it was awesome. I wanted to see the Viggo movie also, another ultra violent.

12/03/2007 3:31 PM  
Blogger JC said...

I think the level of violence in this movie is integral to the point it is trying to make.

a - I didn't find it difficult to sit through. There were a couple of moments of sphincter-puckering suspense, and a couple of surprises/quick events that made me jump, but there was nothing that made me think "that was so gross I wish I hadn't seen it", which is the stuff I usually find hard to watch.

12/03/2007 8:26 PM  
Blogger REENblack said...

I really wanna see that one!

12/04/2007 8:21 AM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

i understand that the movie ends differently than the book. loved the book. ian even read it and liked it. i "made" him read it because i thought he'd appreciate the gun play. and i've passed it off to my riding instructor, too. he said the writing was so different from anything he's ever read that it took him a bit to get into it. so, read the book! can't wait to see the movie. have been waiting and waiting for it to be generally released since we're not one of the big three cities that movies debut in.

12/04/2007 9:02 AM  
Blogger JC said...

I do want to read the book now after seeing the movie. I thought I might wait for some of the hype to die down so I won't have to wait forever to get it at the library. I just started reading "All The Pretty Horses" because it's by the same author and I've had it sitting around my house for about 4 years now(!). If the writing style of NCFOM is anything like Horses, I concur that the writing style takes some getting used to.

12/04/2007 8:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home