Tuesday, December 04, 2007

As The Worm Turns

OK peeps, this is going to make last night's post look like the biggest piece of melodrama ever.

It looks like I found a gig for next semester!

I can feel the eyes rolling already! But in my own defense I offer two pieces of information. The first is that I have been worrying about this for a bit longer than one day - I just didn't post about it until last night. And the other thing is that I think posting about stuff like that helps push me to do things I don't like to do. Knowing that there a few people out there who may be wondering: "Why the hell doesn't he pick up the phone already?!" helps me to do it. Part of it is support from you all, and part of it is kind of like a peer pressure thing. It makes it harder to procrastinate when you know that there are people out there wondering when I'm just going to get this over with already! (edited to add: I had also left a voice mail with someone 3 weeks ago, and they never called me back, which didn't exactly add to the ol' confidence.)

Anyway, I called the director of my local public library and explained the situation and asked if she would be willing to help me out. She was very nice and said that it sounds like something they can do. I'm not sure if it helped that she's a graduate of the same school that I am attending, but it certainly couldn't have hurt. So at least it looks like I can cross that off of the worry list!

It's amazing the difference that a good night's rest can make for me. I went to bed really early last night, and today I felt like a completely different person than yesterday. I plowed right through one of the assignments that I have to turn in this week, and obviously I found the cojones to pick up the phone. I didn't even need my afternoon coffee today. I know this is a truth that I have discovered several times since I started this blog, but maybe if I keep emphasizing it here it will sink in for good one of these days.

Really, y'all, thanks for your support, it means a lot to me.

9 Comments:

Blogger Deb R said...

Yaayy!!! Good for you!!

And on that note, I'm off to get a good night's sleep myself. :-)

12/04/2007 9:28 PM  
Blogger Amy N. said...

Great News my Friend!
woo hoo (insert fanfare)

One less thing to worry about

12/05/2007 9:47 AM  
Blogger REENblack said...

Fabulous!!! Congrats on the job!

Worrying, complaining, freaking out, whatever...don't worry about it! Remember many of us are WOMEN... ummmm, we understand all that!

12/05/2007 2:26 PM  
Blogger hollibobolli said...

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I guess that means you won't be applying for the one here?

:/

12/05/2007 4:44 PM  
Blogger Admin said...

congrats! that's awesome!

12/06/2007 12:24 AM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

fabulous! what will you do there? reference desk? that's great that you have something lined up already! three cheers for you!

12/06/2007 1:20 PM  
Blogger JC said...

deb - thanks!!

amy - thanks!!

rb - thanks!! and good point! :)

h - thanks!! and no, this is just temporary so I can get the work experience hours I need to graduate.

v - thanks!!

r - thanks!! I told them I want to do technical services. I really think I'm more suited for cataloging, although sometimes I think reference might be kind of fun. Isn't cataloging what you do?

12/06/2007 9:07 PM  
Blogger weddingproject-us said...

yay yay and triple yay

I knew you would find something.

People are more helpful than you think.

12/08/2007 11:17 AM  
Blogger Anne said...

awesome!! I will totally bring the urchins by on the way to storytime...or something.

12/11/2007 5:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home