Monday, May 07, 2007

In N Out Burger!

I had the weirdest dream last night. My sister was about to marry AJ on The Sopranos, so Tony was about to become part of our family. Which meant I was about to become a part of his "family". It was not a good feeling. So analyze that!

A side benefit of my trip to Arizona was the fact that I could make my long-awaited return to In N Out Burger. It had been almost 3 years since my last trip there. Oddly enough, they just opened the first one in Tucson a couple of days before I arrived. My mom and I went there one afternoon just to kind of see how long the line was. The day it opened there were people standing in line for hours. When we went, it looked like it might have taken us an hour or so to get our food. Since it was already almost 2PM and we were going out to dinner, we decided not to wait. But I can tell you, if I had not been planning to go to Phoenix for the concert, we would have waited. I knew that I could go to one of the Phoenix locations before the show.

The first time I heard of INOB was in The Big Lebowski. About a year after I first saw the movie, I found myself in L.A. and saw an INOB and decided to try it. I'm a sucker for any restaurant that is mentioned or visited in movies that I like. Jackie Brown made me want to go to Roscoe's Chicken & Waffles, and Lebowski made me want to go to INOB. After visiting, I had to agree with Walter Sobchak - that was a tasty burger. Great fries too. Since then every time I have gone to California, INOB has been a required stop. I love that they have I think only 5 items on the menu - hamburgers, cheeseburgers, french fries, shakes, and soft drinks. No chicken sandwich, no onion rings, no freakin' fajita pita. Keep it simple, stupid.

You'll hear some contrarians claim that they know of a better burger or better fries. Not that I've tried every hamburger or fries known to man, but I think these people are full of it. It's probably OK that I only get to go there once every 2 or 3 years (although now it may be once a year), because otherwise I would become a fatty, and maybe I would even get tired of their food. It's just inaccessible enough to make me really appreciate it.



The glorious sign beckons to one and all: "Come, eat my tasty wares."

You just gotta love that greasy bag.



A couple more minutes and I could've seen through the bag!




The fries. Sliced right onsite, never frozen. You can order them extra crispy, which I have never tried, but I might next time just to see what that tastes like.


I splurged for a chocolate shake. It was damn good too. They put Bible verses on the bottom of their cups, which I'm sure scares the Beejeebers out of some of you. I say small price to pay.




It's all pretty affordable too. And as you can see, I ordered my cheeseburger "animal style".

The piece de resistance! I just stick with the single meat patty, although you can get more than one if you so desire (up to 4!). None of this stuff is ever frozen either, it makes a big difference.

Cheeseburger bliss.





Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Damn, I'm really hungry now!! I love INOB too...their chocolate shakes are great if i remember correctly! The bible verses didn't scare me, kinda cool that they still print them that way in this PC world we live in.

5/08/2007 5:14 PM  
Blogger paintergirl said...

At least it's Proverbs.

That is the biggest burger.
I'm still partial to Burger Chef's cheeseburgers. sigh.

Hey and don't you just want to find the diner in Pulp Fiction. It looks like an old Big Boys.

5/08/2007 6:27 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You have inspired me to have one for lunch. I never go there even though there is one a few miles away.

5/09/2007 9:00 AM  
Blogger hollibobolli said...

Damn Sam - I get really irritated reading about these since I haven't had one.

What was the deleted comment - I wanna know!! I wanna know!!

5/09/2007 1:27 PM  
Blogger hollibobolli said...

Wait - did you change your post?

5/09/2007 1:28 PM  
Blogger Anna said...

I have heard soooo much about INOB. The Bible quotes are news though... creepy news. Is it a religious type of burger establishment? I am dying to try one of those burgers! It looks fantastically fresh and wonderful.

5/09/2007 4:46 PM  
Blogger JC said...

pg - I already tried to find that diner, it was in Hawthorne, California. Apparently it was demolished and no longer exists. Sad.

amy - I'd love to hear what you think.

anna- the owners of INOB are religious, but the verse on the cup and I think maybe somewhere on the container for the fries are the only shoutouts. They're not obvious unless you are looking for them.

5/10/2007 2:15 PM  
Blogger Cory said...

Do they have INOBs where they are holding the blogher thing? Cuz if so we gotta stop on our way there...mua ha ha...I've never been and that looks delightful! At first I thought to myself "critters and varmits?" and then....THEN...I saw a picture of the most delicious looking cheeseburger and I knew I couldn't turn away...and the newspaper thing-so disgusting.

5/10/2007 9:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home