Monday, April 16, 2007

SPC - Laundry Day Really Snuck Up On Me This Time


This month's SPC theme is "The Body". At the risk of scaring off half my readers (all 3 of you), I decided to do my first nude shot (although admittedly it's not very revealing in a conventional sense). I have to say that I found the results less pleasant than I thought they would be. I took a bunch of shots, and I have to say that the one thing that stands out to me is that I have a spare tire. See? I know it could be a lot worse, but I still don't like it. About the only good thing I can say about this is that it will give me incentive to work out more. And maybe quit eating like some kind of javelina.

I never really thought of myself as someone who doesn't like my body. I've never felt particularly ashamed of it. I don't hang out around the house naked on a regular basis, but I don't think I have any particular hangups about nudity. But this is kind of a weird feeling to me, to let the camera see me as someone else might and not entirely like what I see. Being unhappy with your body is a pretty common experience from blog posts I have seen and people that I have known. Now I can really say that I relate. There's nothing wrong with wanting to change something about yourself, but there's a lot of freedom in being to accept yourself as you are. I can't say that I'm at that point yet, but maybe this is a start.

To see other people's take on the theme, click here.

Labels:

22 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Great post. I really admire you for having the confidence to share this photo. Very cool.

4/16/2007 11:46 PM  
Blogger kristen said...

Wow JC - good for you, you are much more brave than me. I immediately thought of that song by Gorilaz, "Feel Good, Inc."

4/17/2007 6:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh JC, you have more than 3 readers! You are so brave and this is such a great photo!

4/17/2007 7:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ooh I passed along the thinking blogger award to you... check it out on my blog...

4/17/2007 7:41 AM  
Blogger Anna said...

That's a big step, JC - being open enough to post that picture. Regardless of how the picture made you feel about yourself, you overcame something pretty huge!

4/17/2007 7:48 AM  
Blogger paintergirl said...

aww, poor jc has no clothes.
You are very daring. There is a strange hitchcock sense about this photo. I don't think I could do this.
And kiki-i love that song.

4/17/2007 8:02 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wow JC I would never in a million years have the guts to take a picture like that. Impressive.

4/17/2007 8:41 AM  
Blogger Deb R said...

You are so brave!! It's a cool shot and I'm all agog with admiration at your nerve!

4/17/2007 8:46 AM  
Blogger Jeremy Stockwell said...

Wow, you and bz are totally going to give me a complex. Week one, you both posted nip shots and didn't get me the memo, this week you both posted 'intimate' shots and, again -- nothing!

I applaud your bravery (both of you)

4/17/2007 9:15 AM  
Blogger hollibobolli said...

Wowza.

First, Paintergirl's comment just made me spit soda in a burst of laughter.

Second, I'm impressed with Deb's use of the word "agog."

Third, Jeremy's comments all over the place are just making me laugh.

And fourth - you better put that butt away before I bring Faith for the second biggest slumber party ever.

Fifth - nobody will ever be seeing my saggy ass anywhere on the internet. I think I've mentioned this before - but if you do, I've been taken hostage and you all need to put some sort of plan into action to rescue me from my captors.

You one brave man. Next you'll be on a t-shirt fighting Big Foot.

4/17/2007 1:02 PM  
Blogger Chickytava said...

And you though I was brave to post my 7th grade class picture? Holy crap.

4/17/2007 2:45 PM  
Blogger Tammy said...

This is a great shot!! Brave, indeed! :) Your writing made me laugh too!

4/17/2007 4:47 PM  
Blogger Intrepidflame said...

Yeah Jeremy is right we keep thinking the same way. This is a great shot, and i am glad you were able to post it without any hang ups. I have had a really weird week trying to figure out whether to post my pic/post at all, and talking to a colleague really freaked me out, but I think it is good to push social taboos and make people think.

Anyway...well done.

4/17/2007 7:04 PM  
Blogger gaysknits said...

this is a terrific post and a terrific photo..spare tire? love handles is what they call them i believe. if you can do this you can certainly accept your body as is. great photo and by the way i quote your blog title daily in my mind no body cares what you ate for breakfast fits a lot of circumstances!

4/17/2007 8:32 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Spencer said...

ha, your photo with your title made me laugh. and then your photo made me think! great job.

4/17/2007 9:06 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Spencer said...

ugh, i meant to say your post made me think. i really need to proofread...

4/17/2007 9:07 PM  
Blogger Ocean_Momma said...

I adore this post!!!
Real. Deep. Good!

Warmly,
Kimberly

4/18/2007 12:45 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ah la la... les poignées d'amour... ;)

4/18/2007 3:19 AM  
Blogger Vedrana M. said...

very brave!!! and as you see, you have much more than 3 readers :)

4/18/2007 4:12 AM  
Blogger BJ said...

Wow - I applaude you JC. You do have a lot of nerve. But then again, why not? Nothing wrong with some "love handles" as someone else said. I totally agree. Great post! BTW - you sure upped the number of readers you thought you had!

4/18/2007 4:30 PM  
Blogger Tish said...

Hey, I can't see the pic! I feel so cheated!

4/18/2007 10:31 PM  
Blogger Tish said...

I see it now! Yippee!

4/19/2007 7:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home