Friday, January 12, 2007

If You Did Care What I Ate...

My sister likes to gift me with strange food items. It all started with Vegemite. She brought me some Vegemite the first time she went to Australia. And I know, we've all heard the Men At Work song, and we all think it would be fun to have a Vegemite sandwich. But you know what? It isn't. It tastes terrible. It's super-salty and tastes like what I imagine a beef bouillon cube might taste like if you chewed on one. Check out the Wikipedia entry for some funny uses of Vegemite as slang! I thought it tasted like ass...






I received these Life Savers for Christmas. That's right, "musk" flavored. They're from New Zealand. As you can see I haven't opened them yet. I'm scared after the licorice experience below. They smell like cologne. Eep. But I will have to try at least one.




Ah, salt licorice. Somehow my sister heard about this and happened to mention it to someone where she works who is Dutch. So the next time her co-worker was in Holland she got 3 bags to give to my sister. Apparently we had the same experience when trying it for the first time. At first you're thinking "this isn't so bad", but then the salt kicks in. These things are really salty. And as that salty wave washes over your mouth and overwhelms the licorice taste you think "this isn't so good". I tried a second one after the first and had real trouble keeping it in my mouth. I tried another one when taking this picture to see if I would feel any different, and I ended up spitting some of it out and rinsing my mouth with copious amounts of water. I like to think of myself as an adventurous eater, but these items have humbled me. If anyone wants the rest of the salt licorice I'll gladly mail it to you!







And if you see any of these people today, wish them a happy birthday:

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Rebecca said...

okay, i cannot resist asking, since when have you become a connoisseur of ass? stay away from the vegemite!

1/12/2007 4:14 PM  
Blogger paintergirl said...

The licorice sounds so interesting but I hate too much salt. You have to try the musk candy. You should film yourself trying it-I'm sure it would be a Borat experience. I smelled vegemite once, grossed me out. I think you described it perfectly.

1/12/2007 5:43 PM  
Blogger kristen said...

I didn't realize my boyfriend's birthday was yesterday! I've tried that salt licorice when in Amsterdam, it's making my mouth salivate just thinking about it.

1/13/2007 7:22 AM  
Blogger Anna said...

I am really curious about the "musk" flavored candy. I think of deer pheromones whenever I hear musk and I don't know why. It's a very animalistic word. Really hope the candy doesn't taste the way it sounds. Yay for adventurous eating!

1/13/2007 11:49 AM  
Blogger JC said...

bekka - OK, OK. Connoisseur is probably too strong a word - I'm more of a dabbler. Kidding! Actually I've never tasted anything from "Vegemite Valley". I should have said that it tastes like what I imagine ass would taste like! :P

I can't believe you like that stuff kiki. Want my bag?

anna - Although I am a bit frightened, I am curious too. I'll be sure to post about it!

1/13/2007 12:51 PM  
Blogger hollibobolli said...

You know what - all that salty stuff sound really freaking good.

My husband, Howard really enjoyed his birthday, Kiki.. he said to tell you that he's very disappointed you forgot Rob's birthday.

Send all salty stuff to me!!

1/14/2007 10:32 AM  
Blogger hollibobolli said...

SOUNDS

1/14/2007 10:32 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

No site of Rob Zombie today but he does live here in P town and he's quite the hottie, not!

1/16/2007 8:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home