Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Next!

Here’s what passes for excitement around here: Monday night my power went out. I had just picked up my skillet and put it on the stove to start cooking dinner when the lights flashed and then went out. Everything came on again briefly and then went off again. Crap. Thankfully it wasn’t hot outside. I passed the time by playing with my camera and getting my shot for SPC, and reading a magazine by the window. As time dragged on, though, I got a bit antsy. It’s really disconcerting to realize how much our modern life depends on electricity. I was starting to get hungry, it was getting too dark to read, and the 3 half gallons of organic milk that I stocked up on at Target since they were on sale this week (their awesome pizza is on sale too!)were beginning to seem like a particularly ironic twist as the fridge slowly got warmer.

Another reason that I was antsy was that I supposed to make a phone call. My lack of cell phone mocked me as the land line became useless without power. And no, it wasn’t “don’t call me, I’ll call you girl”. Not surprisingly I never heard back from her – she’s dead to me now. Finally about an hour and 20 minutes after the power went out I decided to get in my car and go get something to eat, and to use a pay phone to at least contact the person I was supposed to call and let them know what was going on. I got the garage door open with some difficulty and pulled my car out into the driveway. I got out of the car to close the garage door, and when I stepped inside the garage the light came on. Hallelujah!

I quickly made my dinner of scrambled eggs and tortillas*. Apparently eggs can sit in a refrigerator with no power for an hour and 20 minutes without turning into something that makes me ill. Good to know.

I then made my phone call. I guess we’ll call her victim number 2 in the latest reign of terror. We’ve exchanged several emails over the last week and a half or so. I asked in an email if I could call her and this time I got an actual phone number. We talked for about an hour and a half, and we will be meeting this weekend. At one point in the conversation she started asking me questions that kind of made things seem a little like a job interview. Which, I guess in a way it kind of is! When she asked me when my last serious relationship was it kind of bugged me, I didn’t think that was relevant. But in thinking it over maybe she's just trying to avoid being in a “rebound” relationship. Now I know you all may be thinking I’m some kind of “playa” what with the 2 dates in about a week thing, but I assure you that’s not the case - after this one the well is dry.

* Side story – I’m not much of an egg eater. I want to make another Key lime pie with the recipe that Anne mentioned, but I needed one more egg. The place that I stopped to get the condensed milk and pie crust (still not ready to tackle that from scratch yet) didn’t have half-cartons of eggs, so I had to get 12! Despite the fact that they cost all of 99 cents, I just can’t stand to throw the extras out! Shit, maybe I am a tightwad.

4 Comments:

Blogger Tish said...

Wooo hooo! Can't wait to find out how your date goes! Good luck!

And yes, your thinking is correct. Women ask about your last serious relationship to make sure you're not on the rebound. The second reason is that we want to know whether or not you're interested in a serious relationship. If a guy says he has never been in a serious relationship, or if it has been a long time, I'm always a bit hesitant to get involved. A part of me thinks that he's looking for something very casual and that he'll end up breaking my heart if I get too involved.

Best of luck to you!

10/18/2006 12:51 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

maybe some women ask about your last serious relationship. i guess that's good to know, but something i've never asked. i mean, usually those things come out. but the whole interview thing seems so unnatural. maybe if you were talking in person, it wouldn't have seemed so weird.

so, you only have cordless phones? bad idea. we've got three regular rotary ones. and two cordless ones on top of the two cell phones. that sounds really yucky, right? but, the non-cordless phones always work when the power is out. it is kind of scary when it happens. and makes me think about life without fossil fuels.

good luck with victim number two. it is almost halloween. perhaps you can bite her neck or something for a DNA sample and Check her out!

10/18/2006 3:01 PM  
Blogger Red said...

Personally, I haven't had a SERIOUS relationship since my divorce 7 years ago. Maybe that's why I scare them off? Hmmm?

When the lights go out and the phone goes too I enjoy the quiet. Except for my cell so I turn that off too and blame my lack of answering on the power outage. (*Big Cheesy Grin*)

10/19/2006 9:20 AM  
Blogger Anna said...

No cell phone? Wow. I get the shakes if I don't have mine for more than an hour. Sad, I know.

Very odd to ask such a loaded question so bluntly. I would be annoyed as well. Maybe it was just a phone conversation fluke-y thing and the date will be different. Fingers crossed.

10/19/2006 10:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home