Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Key Lime Wha?

From time to time I am known to make a baked good. For some reason I had a hankering for some Key lime pie. It's been a while since I've made one. I made it on Sunday night right before I went to bed, and it had to chill, so I had to wait to eat it. I'm not always against the idea of pie for breakfast, but for some reason it didn't appeal on Monday morning. So I had to wait all day Monday before I could taste it.
Now I know I have a couple of foodie readers, so go easy on me. I'm not quite up to the level of sophistication of making my own crust, and I know the presentation could use some work. But it sure tasted good.
Now I'm off to bed. Lost isn't even over. I'm really that tired.


It used to be hard to find Key limes around here. Now you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a bag. I think it's because they grow them in Mexico now.

I squeezed every last one of those suckers to get my half cup of juice.

Yep, a real Key lime pie is yellow.


Like I said, the presentation needs some work. And yes, the front part of this piece did fall off and I stuck it back on.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger Anna said...

Ditto. Every time I tried to make my own pie crust, I was close to tears. No shame in store bought pie crusts! Pie looks wonderful, stuck together or not :) I admire your self control - pie for breakfast is not something I can turn down easily.

10/04/2006 11:35 PM  
Blogger Tish said...

Nice! Funny that you should mention Key Lime Pie. I just looked up a recipe for it on foodnetwork.com the other day! Had to get Emeril's recipe!

Save a piece for me! :)

10/05/2006 2:30 AM  
Blogger kristen said...

I love a good key lime pie and I'm quite certain, yours would be good!

10/05/2006 11:13 AM  
Blogger BJ said...

Would love to have some of that! Your presentation is just fine! My daughter makes a really good one. Maybe she'll make one for her ole mom!

10/05/2006 7:18 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

i have an awesome key lime pie recipe. it's one of my specialites, so learning that you made one too just makes it seem like we have too many things in common!

ahem, i make my own crust. but it's so easy. take gingersnap cookies, the kind that come in the big bag, crush them, add butter and maybe a bit of sugar and a bit of ginger, that's my own touch, and you're all set. the gingersnap is so much better than regular old graham cracker crust!

and, i'm always one to comment on whether the key lime pie is authentic from it's color...

happy weekend!

10/05/2006 9:01 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ohmygod...I think we have the same plates! Turn one over...does it say 'nautica'?

10/05/2006 9:01 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Flinger said...

Dude. I'm STARVING. And also trying to cut sugar.

:: drooling ::

10/06/2006 1:24 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I would actually eat a piece of key lime pie like the one you made. It looks good and I had no idea it wasn't green. We don't generally have key lime pie around here and when we do, it looks disgustingly flourescent green and shiny.

10/07/2006 12:58 PM  
Blogger JC said...

bekka - The ginger snaps sound intriguing, I've never heard of that. I'll have to try that sometime!

barb - my plates aren't Nautica. They're Gibson that my mom bought me at Target before my freshman year of college. I love them.

Anne - I'm interested in that recipe. Michelle or Holli can give you my email address.

10/08/2006 4:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home