Thursday, October 12, 2006

Artsy Fartsy, Part 2

Here's part 2 of the trip to the Philbrook Museum. These shots are from the inside of the museum.


This is The Head of John the Baptist by Rodin.


This is a Modigliani.





They have a really nice stained glass window that depicts the story of Dante and Beatrice.

How would you like to eat your frozen burrito off of this plate?





No, I didn't obsess over this statue just because it's of a naked woman (that's my story and I'm sticking to it). I just really liked the way that the lighting arrangement resulted in the multiple shadows.

This is called Peaches in a Silver Bowl. Don't know how they came up with that one.

This was just flat-out disturbing, I hesitated to even take a picture of it. It was actually a video projection from a DVD player, so the eyes and mouths were moving and there was some kind of gibberish language associated with it. It gave me the creeps. I guess if the purpose of art is to provoke a reaction in the viewer, then mission accomplished! My reaction: eww!



This is the rotunda near the main entrance.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Rebecca said...

i really like that rotunda shot. it's art, too, you know? but i didn't think i knew that modigliani sculpted. love his paintings though. so i was at the national port. gallery in dc over the weekend. Sometime Soon, i hope to post some of my shots from there. the lighitng was suspect, though, and i haven't looked to see how any came out!

10/12/2006 10:56 AM  
Blogger kristen said...

I hate that jabba the hut thing!

10/12/2006 3:07 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Nice pics! I've been to museams that don't allow pictures and I've often wondered whats the big deal?

10/13/2006 9:33 AM  
Blogger JC said...

bekka - Apparently Modigliani didn't do too many sculptures before he started concentrating solely on painting.

Nikki - Hmm, there are a couple of these that your statement could apply to, which one are you talking about? :)

Kiki - it was 10 times worse in person, because it was moving and babbling!

Barb - I have been to a bunch like that too. This place didn't allow flash photography, and there was one exhibit we weren't supposed to take pictures of (I think it was the one that the third picture came from!). The flash makes sense because it could damage some of the works over a long period of time. I'm guessing that maybe not allowing photos at all is so that someone doesn't take some kickass pics and make postcards or posters out of them to sell - copyright issue.

10/13/2006 10:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home