Sunday, October 15, 2006

Soup Of The Day (Or Night)

Last week on her blog, Anna posted about mushroom velvet soup. An intriguing name for a soup. I love mushrooms, and I said I would have to make the soup sometime. Well, be careful what you say you are going to do because sometimes people call your bluff!

On Friday after work I stopped by Central Market since I figured if anyone had creme fraiche, they would. As it turns out they do, but it took me a little while to find it. You know, guys don't like to ask for directions and all (even though that's eventually just what I did!). I also never knew about Crimini mushrooms until now. Yes, I'm pretty much a food ignoramus.

The calm before the storm




The soup tasted really good. I added salt and pepper just before the simmer, and I must have added just the right amounts because it didn't need any more after that. I thought the dill was a nice contrast to the earthiness of the mushrooms. I'm curious to see what this soup might taste like with sour cream instead of creme fraiche, I think I might like that too. I will definitely make this again!

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Anna said...

Oh yay, you made the soup! It looks wonderful. I am so glad that you enjoyed it and that you broadened your culinary horizons with the creme fraiche :) Hope it was worth the struggle to get it. Central Market is the greatest place. I really wish they had stores up here. Oh, and I am sorry for the peer pressure. Won't happen again!

10/15/2006 11:02 PM  
Blogger JC said...

Sometimes I need a little peer pressure to get off my ass and do something worthwhile, so bring it on! New recipes are always good.

Now if I could just get a Trader Joe's and you could get a Central Market, we'd be in good shape.

10/16/2006 9:12 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Looks good! Did you mention to your date the other day that you COOK??? Big plus to the ladies.....

10/16/2006 6:44 PM  
Blogger kristen said...

Of course all I want to say is, 'NO SOUP FOR YOU'. But it does look good and I'd so want to order.

10/16/2006 7:16 PM  
Blogger Lisa Fain (Homesick Texan) said...

We have Trader Joe's in NYC now, but I'd rather have Central Market--a much better shopping experience.

10/21/2006 10:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home