Saturday, October 14, 2006

Glutton For Punishment

I went to see the new Scorsese joint today. Great flick. It didn't strike me as a "Scorsese" movie, though. Maybe that's because it's a remake of this Hong Kong flick. And through the use of Chinatown and some Chinese gangsters in one scene, the movie had that kind of "Hong Kong" feel, even though it is set in Boston. Alec Baldwin is best in small doses (think Glengarry Glen Ross), and that's how he was used in this movie. Jack Nicholson wasn't too over the top, and even Mark Wahlberg was good. Although I'm sure the feeling is mutual, if I ever go to Boston it might take me a couple of days to quit laughing when people talk. No offense!

OK, so now I will talk about what you all probably came here to read. Yes, I had a date yesterday. I am dipping my toe back into the treacherous waters of online dating, at least until I get discouraged and bitter again (may not take too long!). My date was with a girl that I have exchanged several emails with, but oddly enough we did not talk on the phone before meeting. I know that usually that happens before you meet someone, but I figured it wouldn't make that big of a difference. I would be pretty unlikely to rule out meeting someone just from talking to them on the phone, although I have been on the other end of that and it's probably different for women. But since she didn't press for it, I figured: what the hell?

I was a bit nervous though because our emails have been pretty short, and I didn't really know too much about this person. Lunch seemed like a good idea, because she lives very close to where I work, and there's always the escape factor if things suck. You're not stuck there all night. I showed up at the appointed time, and she was already there. We recognized each other immediately, so I guess we both look like our pictures. We sat outside on the patio, the weather was beautiful yesterday. Overall, we had a pleasant enough conversation. However, I don't think I was at my best. Sometimes you get witty, funny, goofy JC, and sometimes you get boring JC. I think I was more of the latter. I think it had to do with being tired, nervous, and not knowing a whole lot about this person. Also, I really feed off the energy of other people, so I'm more likely to be goofy or funny if the other person gives me something to work with. I didn't get a lot of material to work with yesterday. And I do take a little while to warm up to people. Maybe that's why I don't get a lot of second dates?

Anyway, after about an hour we both had to go back to work. I asked her if I could call her sometime, and she said yes. I was going to write down her number, but then she said she would just email it to me. That has definite brushoff potential there. But I didn't press because I figured that even if I wrote down her number, if she doesn't want to talk to me she wouldn't answer if I called anyway.

In the post-date rundown in my mind, I did discover that I committed a potentially serious faux-pas. When the check came, she asked if I wanted to split it, and I insisted on paying it. I always feel awkward about what to do at that point, but I figure me paying is probably the safer approach. Anyway, I was figuring out the tip, and I figured it wrong! I hate doing math in my head, I was distracted, I was nervous, and I accidentally left 10% instead of the 20% I would normally leave. And she could pretty much see the amount I wrote down. And one of her prior jobs was waitressing! It shows you how out of it I was that I didn't realize this until 15 minutes later. So she probably thinks I am a tightwad. Damn this feeble brain! Anyway, I haven't received a message from her at this point, so things might not have worked out this time. You all will be the first to know! Except for me of course.

9 Comments:

Blogger Anna said...

The MassHole accent really is funny. I haven't gotten over it yet.

Seems like it would be silly to discount a person based on the amount left for tip. If she does, then she is just not that interesting, I think.

10/14/2006 10:57 PM  
Blogger kristen said...

I say, don't let this one experience throw you off. It sounds like it wasn't an immediate click and if she doesn't email her number (that's weird anyway!) than she isn't worth pursuing and it's NO reflection of you. I met my husband on a blind date, not that you're looking to get married, I'm just saying to not give up.

I saw The Departed on Friday night and loved it until the very last scene, in Damon's apartment. I don't want to ruin it for anyone but I thought it was SO cliche, except maybe I missed something in its obviousness?

10/15/2006 7:33 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Your lunch date sounds like my first date with J. I ordered a chicken dish on accident because I was so nervous that I didn't read the menu very carefully and then I didn't know what to do when it came because I'm a vegetarian. So, I picked at everything else on my plate but there wasn't much besides the chicken. I was so stunend by the big piece of meat that I kind of froze and had a hard time making conversation as well. It was bad! It's hard being a shy geek.

I don't think we would have gone out again except that he worked with a friend of mine and I told her all about the date, knowing full well she would explain it to him.

You must keep us posted.

10/15/2006 5:23 PM  
Blogger JC said...

Thanks for the encouragement, guys. I still haven't gotten the digits. Oh well.

anna - MassHole - hee! I haven't heard that term before. I have an uncle who's from Gloucester, I like to give him hell about the accent.

kiki - that ending was crazy, no? I guess it was a bit cliche, but it kind of seemed to fit with the source material. Those Hong Kong films can be gloriously cheesy.

10/15/2006 8:46 PM  
Blogger Tish said...

JC ~ I'm glad to hear that you're out there in the dating scene again. I wouldn't worry too much if this one doesn't work out. Take it from me - online dating (and well, any kind of dating for that matter!) is very difficult. I went on countless match.com dates, and the majority of them never went anywhere. If this one is meant to be, it will work out. If not, go ahead and set up a date with someone else!

And don't worry about the tip. If you were a tightwad, you would have taken her up on splitting the bill. I think you did the right thing by paying, but once you get into a relationship, let the girl pay sometimes! I really don't like it when boyfriends insist on always paying. We like to do something nice for you guys from time to time!

Good luck with the future dates! Keep us posted!

10/16/2006 11:50 AM  
Blogger Tish said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10/16/2006 11:50 AM  
Blogger JC said...

Anne - the faux pas wasn't paying the bill, it was leaving a 10% tip (which I did by mistake). Bad tippers really piss off waitstaff, and this girl used to be a waitress once upon a time!

Still no number, although it's possible she sent it to my home email, which I can't check from work.

10/16/2006 3:38 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That whole "I'll email you my phone number business" sounds so lame....I'm all about people being up-front, if she didn't feel a love connection, she should have had the balls to tell you.....dunno, just my take,I've been burned a few times too,waiting and waiting for the call that never comes..

10/16/2006 6:47 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

wow. at least you emailed back and forth a few times. ever been on a blind date? so i'm impressed you paid for lunch, good for you. even though i'm a feminist, i grew up southern so it's hard to reconcile being objectified with being treated like a princess. and i agree with barbara about the whole I'll email you my number. guess you have to wait and see how it comes out. surely there are lots of opportunities for you to meet likely ladies in tx?

10/16/2006 9:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home