Monday, October 23, 2006

Is That a Corny Dog In Your Pocket, Or Are You Just Happy to See Me?

I wasn't sure if I was going to make it to the State Fair of Texas this year, but I went on the last day, which was yesterday. I took so many pictures that I think I'll break them up by theme. Today we look at the gastronomical wonders of the Fair, which was really the main reason I wanted to go. I thought about getting the fried praline, but the fried Oreos from last year have still left me scarred so I passed. I also skipped the fried Coke, fried Cosmopolitan, fried peanut butter and jelly sandwich, and fried cow dung. OK, I made that last one up.

And word to the wise - don't eat all this crap at the Fair and then go home and eat two pieces of pizza and some key lime pie. Trust me on this one.



It's all about the dog, yo. If I didn't get anything else I still wanted a corny dog.


There's nothing wrong with eating a corny dog at 10:30 in the morning. Mommy, why is that man taking a picture of his food?


Mmm, look at that breading!



Kevin Bacon pulling taffy.



This is my second favorite item, the roasted ear of corn. I skipped the butter.



They have all kinds of spices that you may adorn your ear with. I chose Cajun spice.



This is the fried macaroni and cheese. I had to ask for directions to find where they were selling it.



In the paper I read that some people said the fried mac and cheese was the worst food item at the Fair, and some said it was the best. How could I resist something that polarizing? It was closer to good than bad.



I preferred the marinara sauce.



This was the last food purchase of the day - fried okra. This was a little too greasy, but not as much as last year. Cheap bastards wouldn't give me a fork. "Do you have any forks?" "Not for the okra."

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Did you see the news last night with the old man slathering his cornydog up with mustard? It looked almost erotic...I had to change the channel.

10/23/2006 10:46 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, and are you too good for a funnel cake? Hello??

10/23/2006 10:47 AM  
Blogger JC said...

Anne - next time I'll add more mustard. Maybe I can be on the news!

B - Thankfully I missed the erotic slathering. And I gave some serious thought to a funnel cake, but I wanted the other stuff more and anything else would have put me in the "miserable" category.

10/23/2006 11:43 AM  
Blogger JC said...

Oh, and I wanted some fried green tomatoes but they were $6 (12 coupons)! Which meant either that they were ridiculously overpriced or such a large helping that I wouldn't have been able to eat anything else the rest of the day.

10/23/2006 12:14 PM  
Blogger Tish said...

Mmmm...corn dogs!

Wish I could have gone with ya!

10/24/2006 2:41 AM  
Blogger JC said...

Nikki - I actually prefer "corn dog", but at the Fair they call them corny dogs. I'm not sure if it's just a Texas thang.

I met Anne in person once, but I have never met Barbara. We all live in the same town though (I think).

What is fried dough? I've never heard of it. Out west they have Indian fry bread, maybe it's similar to that? Also, what are jimmies?

I'm also fascinated by regional food and language differences!

10/24/2006 8:41 AM  
Blogger Anna said...

The fried mac and cheese looked awesome. As did everything else. Totally worth crawling home sick full of scary fried, I would imagine. Totally have to try fried cosmopolitan next time, if only for its weirdness.

10/24/2006 11:05 AM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

quite a theme you've got going there with corndogs and corn cobs. but i HAD to look at the Bacon pulling taffy. wow.

10/24/2006 1:34 PM  
Blogger JC said...

Anna - I read about the fried Cosmo, it sounded very weird. And if I remember correctly it doesn't even contain any alcohol. Pfft.

Lisa - I had some fried cheese curds at the Texas State Fair 2 years ago. I thought they were OK, but I had no frame of reference. And sure, it can be a striptease if you want! Your comment made me remember how in elementary school on corndog day some kids would eat all of the breading off first, and then eat the dog. Some would just eat the breading and not the dog. Weirdos. I've never been to that parade, sounds interesting though.

Rebecca - What are you implying? ;)

10/24/2006 8:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home