Monday, May 29, 2006

Not So Nature Boy And Trip Pics

Well, Nature Boy (that would be me) decided he wanted to sit out in the backyard tonight and watch the birds. That is, until Nature Boy set up the folding chair and then noticed the tarantula climbing the side of the house. Nothing skeeves me out more than big spiders, and they don't get much bigger than this. The outdoor excursion was cancelled for this evening. And yeah, I know they're harmless, yada, yada, yada, but they still just freak me right the F out. Now I'm going to be a nervous wreck for a week. Gah!

On another note, here are some pictures from my trip last week:

This is my parents' back yard. I love that they have mountains nearby!

This is my parent's dog, Oreo. He's a border collie/chow mix, so maybe he's a chorder collie? Or a chowder collie? He's basically a big teddy bear of a dog.



Some of the local scenery

These are the blooms of the saguaro cactus. Unfortunately they hadn't quite opened into flowers yet.


My mom has several bird feeders in the front yard and she has created a watering hole for the critters. It's practically a zoo out there when the feeders are full.

There are a couple of different types of ground squirrel that live there, this one kind of looks like a prairie dog.

There are lots of quail around the yard. I also saw roadrunners, doves, cardinals, flickers, finches, cactus wrens, lizards, rabbits, and a coyote.


With apologies to Anne (just think of it as an homage), here is a prickly pear flower. These things only bloom for a few hours and then they shrivel up.

Yes, this cactus is really purple!

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger kristen said...

love the purple cacti and also the quail. i'm not so in love with the desert though, i have to admit. i know it's beautiful but give me the woods any day!

5/31/2006 11:43 AM  
Blogger JC said...

Anne - it looks like the tarantula has moved on, although I'm not sure if I could handle taking a picture of one anyway. Tarantulas are my kryptonite!

Kiki - The desert does have its own kind of beauty, but if I lived there I would miss real trees (tall, with actual leaves). I love trees! I might miss grass too.

5/31/2006 3:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home