Thursday, May 11, 2006

Match This

Addiction of the week: Yogurt Burst Cheerios. Tuesday night I ate about half a box, right from the box, of the vanilla flavor. I think I prefer the strawberry flavor.

I finally did a little work around the house that's been needed for a long time. When I moved into my house, the builder gave me 2 cans of touchup paint - one can of flat paint and one can of semi-gloss. Plain, boring-ass, white. I had used this stuff several times over the years to cover various scrapes and marks. A little over a year ago I pulled out the semi-gloss can to touch up a couple of spots in the kitchen. Um, I guess paint doesn't hold up too well after 3 and half years. It was now kind of a yellowish color, which didn't match too well with white.

Thus began my hell of trying to find a matching white paint for my wall. The cans that were given to me by the builder had no label on them, they were plain metal cans with 'flat' and 'semi-gloss' written in marker on the lid. I never had any idea how hard it is to match white paint. I got about a bajillion paint strips from Lowe's. I found one that seemed to match my wall pretty well and bought a quart. It didn't match. I emailed customer service for the builder and asked for the brand and name of the paint that they used. I actually got a reply and I thought my work was done. It was a brand they sell at Home Depot. So I bought a quart, tried it out - no match. What the hell? Did the old paint fade or something?

Anyway, I was really getting sick of staring at these white spots on my wall, so I used the brute force method and just painted the whole damn wall with the quart I bought last year. It looks so much nicer! You can't even tell that the walls next to it are not exactly the same shade of white. Next time there's a scuff mark, I'm using one of those Magic Erasers.

3 Comments:

Blogger buffi said...

Go crazy, JC! Pick out aomething approaching a COLOR and paint the whole place. Maybe...oatmeal or toasted wheat. Okay, now I'm hungry. Got any cheerios left?

5/12/2006 12:19 AM  
Blogger hollibobolli said...

Holy hell, that's a lot of work for a scuff. Next time, take a chip of the paint to Home Depot and let them match the paint to the paint on your walls.

5/12/2006 9:13 AM  
Blogger kristen said...

Love the magic erasers and also, isn't it incredible what a little new paint can do for a room and also, your morale?

5/12/2006 3:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home