Thursday, May 04, 2006

Tell Me A Little About Yourself Again

As I mentioned yesterday, I did have another job interview today. However, this one was not one to get as excited about. I interviewed for a library assistant position at the local library. The good thing about this job is that it would give me experience in my future career field. The bad thing about it is that it is part time, only 16 hours a week, and does not have benefits. If I get the secretary job I would not be able to take this job since the hours overlap some.

I dressed pretty casually for this interview - Dockers and a long sleeve button-down shirt. It seemed to fit pretty well with what the interviewers were wearing. There isn't much skill involved in this job, it's basically checking in books that are returned, working at the front desk, and shelving books. I think it would be a good way to discover if I will like library work though.

Yesterday I mowed the lawn (yes, in full regalia). For some strange reason I got this blister on my thumb from pushing the mower. I can't remember ever getting a blister from that before. So today before the interview I'm filling out this form consenting to a background check. One of the interviewers was sitting at the same desk, and due to the angle of my hand this nasty-ass blister with a huge piece of skin hanging off of it is just sitting out there for the whole world to see. I hope he wasn't too grossed out!

At the end of the interview I got to do a fun little test. They had a cart with a bunch of books on it, and they told me to put the books in order according to the letters and numbers on the spines. Some of them were identical, for example there were 2 that had F, MAC on the spine so they told me in that case that you look at the author's full name to see which one goes first. The interviewers left the room while I arranged the books, and they told me to wheel the cart out into the hallway when I was finished. It was kind of like alphabetizing my DVDs at home!

I get to top off interview week with one more. Tomorrow I have an interview at 'Buck. That's right - Starbuck's. What does one wear to an interview at Starbuck's? I'm not too jazzed about it because when I talked to them on the phone it sounded like they would want me to work mornings more than nights. And when they say morning they mean 4:45 in the morning! Dear Lord...

4 Comments:

Blogger buffi said...

4:45?! That would be a deal breaker for me, I'm afraid!

5/05/2006 12:21 AM  
Blogger hollibobolli said...

But free Buck!!!

5/05/2006 4:41 PM  
Blogger kristen said...

Working at the buck wouldn't be so bad although that early AM shift would be a deal breaker as well.

5/06/2006 5:38 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Hi stranger. I got a spare moment and had to check your blog to see if you had gotten a job yet. I am happy to see you did. Way to go!

5/17/2006 5:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home