Monday, April 17, 2006

What About Bob?

OK, so you may be wondering what I thought about the Bob Dylan concert. Overall, I enjoyed it, but I think that I was a little bit disappointed in the quality of his voice at times. He sounded OK for the most part on the songs that were loud and rockin', on anything slower and quieter the voice was pretty bad. He seemed to do a better job with the more recent material, I'm guessing because those songs were created with his current vocal style. He stayed planted at the keyboard for the whole show, but he did bust out with a few harmonica solos (which I didn't think were as bad as the newspaper review below indicated). The band was pretty good, especially the lead guitar player. There was no banter whatsoever, as soon as one song was finished the next one started right up. It was an interesting crowd, there were teenagers and senior citizens and just about every other age in-between.

Merle Haggard was the opening act. I have no interest in country music, so I couldn't even have told you the names of any Merle Haggard songs before the show. Merle ended up being fairly entertaining, although I did start to get a little antsy toward the end of his hour-long set. There were 2 people behind me, I think it was a teenage son and his mother, who went absolutely apeshit over Merle. The kid kept yelling 'yeah!'. They didn't even stick around for Dylan, they high-tailed it out of there as soon as Merle finished.

Here is the review (such as it is) from the Dallas Morning News. Here is the setlist. Overall, I'm glad I went, but I'm not sure that I would go out of my way to see him again.

On the way home I saw a very bright shooting star - of course I had to make a wish!

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Myra Langerhas said...

Man you are wack. Walt would love you. Keep it real. Don't take any wood nickels.

4/17/2006 3:44 PM  
Blogger hollibobolli said...

HUH???

Anyway, like I said - I wouldn't go back to see Bob a 2nd time.. I don't give a rat's ass about his band. I'm sorry for them. And I could not have made it through Merle Haggard - GAH!!!

4/18/2006 4:43 PM  
Blogger JC said...

Holli, your comment reminded me - I meant to say HUH? too! So HUH?

4/18/2006 5:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home