Monday, April 10, 2006

Thanks Hank

I watched an interesting documentary this weekend about Charles Bukowski. He is one of my favorite writers, although I realized that I still haven't read all that much of his work, and almost none of his poetry. The first book of his that I read was the novel Ham on Rye, and after that I was hooked. It is by turns horrifying and hilarious, and it is written in a very straightforward style that really grabs your attention. I have also read Post Office, Women, and Hollywood, and I loved them all. I think he was a true original.

One of the extras on the DVD presents a couple of Bukowski's poems read aloud. There was one that really got to me for a couple of reasons. I think the first reason is because I really want to believe that it's true, especially with what's going on in my life right now. The second reason is that I was surprised and touched that such a hopeful poem could come from someone who experienced so much hardship in his life. On the disc it is read by Tom Waits, which is also pretty cool since I am a big fan of his as well. I am not ashamed to tell you that it brought a tear to my eye.

The Laughing Heart by Charles Bukowski

your life is your life
don’t let it be clubbed into dank submission.
be on the watch.
there are ways out.
there is a light somewhere.
it may not be much light but
it beats the darkness.
be on the watch.
the gods will offer you chances.
know them.
take them.
you can’t beat death but
you can beat death in life, sometimes.
and the more often you learn to do it,
the more light there will be.
your life is your life.
know it while you have it.
you are marvelous
the gods wait to delight
in you.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger hollibobolli said...

gmail
I loved that poem, and it really hit me too - so thank you for sharing.

4/10/2006 10:34 AM  
Blogger kristen said...

I love that you've posted a poem although I'm not a huge fan of Bukowski's.

4/10/2006 11:11 AM  
Blogger JC said...

Anne - I'm not sure, I don't remember hearing the name.

Holli - You're welcome!

Kiki - I'll have to post more poems in the future!

4/11/2006 12:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home