Friday, April 07, 2006

I'm Not Crazy, I Just Sound That Way

This is a bit of a rambler, bear with me. And no I'm not on drugs, can I still blame this on DST? This is sleep deprivation, people, and it's not pretty.

*I always thought that I was OK with tofu. I can't say that I 've eaten it very much, but the times I did it seemed to be OK. However, some recent experiences have made me rethink this. I tried it as a chicken substitute in some Thai curry last summer. I ate a couple of helpings and saved the leftovers for the next night. The next night I struggled to down the tofu and I think I ended up picking some of it out. Lately I've really gotten into 'Chicken Helper' (sorry Anne, I know you're gagging). The Cheesy Chicken Enchilada flavor is great! However, all-natural chicken is pretty expensive for someone on a budget. So I thought I would try some organic tofu instead of chicken, and I thought the Chicken Fried Rice flavor would probably be the best one to test this out on. Again, not so good and on leftover night I had to just ditch the tofu all together. Tofu, you're out! Arsenic-laced chicken, you're in!
* I'm a regular Jeopardy! viewer, and sometimes I really find the contestants annoying. This week took the cake, though. Some guy claimed that his name was Lizard. Lizard? C'MON! They should have called bullshit on that, there's no way that was his real name. Somehow Alex Trebek kept a straight face as he talked to 'Lizard', who proceeded to tell about how he's growing this giant goatee so his pet iguana will think he has a wattle and can communicate with him. The hell? And last week there was a guy named Doc. When I get on there I'm going to tell them my name is Asshole.
* Well, the verdict is in. I got weighed at the doctor yesterday. I have lost about 10 pounds since I lost my job. About 17-20 pounds in the last year. Out of that 17-20, I lost about 8 when I upped my running mileage from 4 to 5 last August. So I really am shrinking. However, I now have a BMI of 21.7, which is smack dab in the middle of the 'normal' range for my height. Woo-hoo, bring on the beer!
* Apparently my question from last Friday has been answered - Basic Instinct 2 is as big a piece of crap as I thought it would be! The metacritic score of 26 is pretty bad. Since it's fun to read reviews of bad movies, I read a bunch of these reviews and they were remarkably consistent. I thought it was kind of interesting that just about all of them mentioned the opening scene, and the reasons they didn't like the movie cropped up again and again.
* In another link to last week, I saw a car today that came straight from one of those Volkswagen 'Unpimp Your Auto' commercials. It was a yellow Civic with a ridiculous spoiler, huge tailpipes, and complete with stupid slogan in sticker form on the back window. Damn I wish I could remember what it said, but it was something along the lines of '2Fast 4U' or some such stupid crap. The driver was some piece of work too. All I could think of was a wrecking ball smashing the shit out of it while Peter Stormare said 'It's time to unpimp your auto'. Giggle.

3 Comments:

Blogger kristen said...

You're too funny JC. I'm with you; the fakey tofu trying to be something it's not.....bleck. Now I like tofu ~ the silken kind is really good, so much so that I used to make tofu sandwiches all the time.....need to start back on that again. My Cali roots are coming right out!
Don't be making fun of the VW ~ our new beetle is all macked out with rain guards on the windows and this pimped out stripey thing on the sides. Oh and it's turbo as well so that means we've got the farfegnugen or however you spell that crap!

4/07/2006 6:43 AM  
Blogger hollibobolli said...

Did you just giggle???

I like the really firm tofu when it's marinated in teriyaki and grilled.. And I love that Market Street marinated tofu - but when tofu goes wrong - it's a nightmare!! However, Faith loves it.. way more than meat. But like kiki, she likes the silken tofu mixed with fruit. You just have to be really careful about what you do with tofu in my book. Not literally in my book. I don't put tofu in books.

4/07/2006 10:45 AM  
Blogger JC said...

It was the super firm tofu. I'm thinking that marinating it would make a big difference - I just sliced it up and then cooked it like chicken. The taste of it is what freaked me out, and marinating would most likely help that!

K- I know you haven't seen the VW commercials, but they are pro-VW (of course!) and making fun of the 'pimped-out' cars like Civics and whatnot with all the Pep Boys crap added to them!

4/07/2006 2:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home