Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Thumbsucker Doesn't Suck

I watched a movie that I ended up really enjoying this past weekend. It's called Thumbsucker. It's based on a novel that I had never heard of prior to seeing the film. I thought the movie was interesting because one of the themes is that lots of people think that they are 'broken', or that there's something wrong with them, but that there may not be a 'fix' for their 'problem'. And that that's OK because that's what makes us human. Another interesting theme in the film is that many parents think that they should somehow magically have all the answers and be totally together themselves, but that's not how it works out in the real world. And that's OK too. The movie has a very hopeful outlook that I just really responded to in my present frame of mind.

I won't quote it here in case you want to see the movie yourself, but I loved the final quote from the Keanu Reeves character. In a way it's a little like hitting you over the head with the message of the film, but for one thing I often personally need that in a 'message' movie, and for another the 2 words he tacks on to the end of the quote soften the effect wonderfully.

The actor playing the main character is really good, and I think this was one of his first films. And if you watch the interview extra on the disc, he bears a strong resemblance to the author of the book. The movie also stars the usually excellent Tilda Swinton and Vincent D'Onofrio and even has a nice performance from Vince Vaughn. Well worth checking out, and if you want to see what the 'professionals' say, here is a link to the metacritic reviews.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger hollibobolli said...

It's weird - I feel like I've seen this. But I feel like I haven't. Did I watch it during my pregnant delerium days?

Was Mandisa in it?

3/29/2006 2:56 PM  
Blogger kristen said...

i've wanted to see this, more so now because i usually like vince vaughn in most everything (old school, dodge ball to name a few) and i love tilda swinton. there's something very cool about her.

3/29/2006 3:16 PM  
Blogger JC said...

Holli - no, you didn't see it in your pregnant delirium - it was just released theatrically last September. I think you would really like it. I hear Mandisa will be in the sequel!

Kiki - Tilda Swinton rocks! Did you see Broken Flowers, she was almost totally unrecognizable in that movie, which I think is difficult for her (she has such a distinctive look).

Anne - I'll put it in your comments. Although I guess that would pretty much be the same as putting it here since everyone who comes here reads your blog!

3/29/2006 11:46 PM  
Blogger hollibobolli said...

I love Tilda Swinton too - and I can't think of the name of the movie I really liked recently that she was in. Beh.

Big shocker on that.

3/31/2006 3:23 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Thumbsucker is on my Netflix list. I can't wait to see it.

4/01/2006 11:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home