Thursday, March 16, 2006

The JC Art Tour, Day 4: Molas!

OK, this is the last day, I promise!

For today I have saved some of my favorite pieces. These are called molas. They are made by the Kuna Yala Indians of Panama. I first saw these when our family went to Panama one Christmas to visit my sister, who was in the Peace Corps down there. These are made by layering different colors of fabric and having cutouts so that the different colors show through.

Oddly enough, I was inspired in the framing of these by a Woody Allen movie. I had them unframed for the longest time, but when I saw the film "Melinda and Melinda" I noticed what looked like a mola on the wall in the background of one scene. It was in a simple black frame and looked great. So, after a trip to Target (where else!) I found some great black wood frames for these. The white part is just the insert that came with the frame turned backwards. In typical JC style, I didn't have them hanging up, but I'm happy to report that this blog project has inspired me to hang them! Here is a link that tells a little about molas, and here is a link with a bunch of mola pictures.





These are monkeys. The faces look a little freaky.


For some reason this one looks a lot more green in the picture than in real life.

4 Comments:

Blogger buffi said...

LOVE LOVE the Molas! My dad brought me a mola shirt from a trip to Panama. It's not really my style (seeing as how I am well under 70), but now I'm thinking maybe I could frame it!!!

3/16/2006 12:35 AM  
Blogger hollibobolli said...

I never knew what these were called. How long have you had them? Maybe they are something akin to the two-year mola!

3/16/2006 11:22 AM  
Blogger JC said...

These are the 'six year molas'!

3/16/2006 12:35 PM  
Blogger kristen said...

Ava's getting her six year molas as we speak. Lets hope that she doesn't do everything else early!!

3/17/2006 6:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home