Monday, March 13, 2006

The JC Art Tour, Day 1: Paintings

A couple of weeks ago, Kiki did a post about the art in her home. I thought it was great idea, so I decided to do a post about the art in my home as well. As I was taking pictures, I realized I have a lot of art (although there may be some debate as whether some of this stuff is art!). So, instead of boring you to death all at once, I have decided to bore you to death for 4 days straight! Let the show begin!

I found this small painting at a local art show. I liked it because it reminded me of my friend's dog.


It's not hard to tell that this is from the same artist! I don't know, it just makes me smile. I saw the artist at a show last October, and he's totally changed his style. I guess you can only do so many of these simplistic pieces, but I really dislike what he's doing now.
My parents live in Arizona, and one time when I was visiting them I saw a piece by the artist that created this, and I was really drawn to his work. I ended up buying this one to hang over my fireplace. It's almost a kind of papier-mache thing that he does, it's a wood frame with a covering of newspaper and glue. The features are actually slightly 3 dimensional, and then he paints on top of that.

This is also by the same artist as the previous work. For some reason I've always loved owls.




My grandmother gave me this watercolor a couple of years ago. She didn't really know the story behind it, so I don't either. But I like it. That white crap is the camera flash!


These next few are not paintings that I own, but they are some pictures of an exhibition by Ron Nelson, who did my prickly pair and owl paintings. I wanted you all to see some of his other work. I wanted that tortoise painting really badly!




3 Comments:

Blogger kristen said...

Cool art! My parents had these southwestern themed art pieces when I was growing up that were made out of little pieces of velvet creating these amazing landscapes and studies. Coincidentally at a friend's apartment in Brooklyn, they had a piece of this same artist ~ how strange is that?

I love the dog prints and they made me smile.

3/13/2006 3:04 PM  
Blogger hollibobolli said...

The drinking dogs most definitely made me smile.. I love them!!! The brew crew!

3/13/2006 5:18 PM  
Blogger JC said...

I'm glad you guys like the dogs too!

Kiki - Wow, that's wild that your friends have a piece by that same artist. I wasn't sure how much exposure he had outside of Arizona.

Holli - A few years ago I was at the home of a friend from college, and he has that exact same painting - except it's 3 cats!

3/13/2006 11:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home