Wednesday, March 01, 2006

The Closing Ceremony of Olympic Blog Posts

First a small digression: It's 90 degrees outside! That's insane.

Well, the Olympics are over. I think I got a pretty good dose to hold me over until 2008 (next summer games). Here are the last of my Olympic impressions:

* Figure skating - I think we need a 'Turandot' limit. It's OK if someone skates to it, but do we need 3 people skating to it? No. No we don't.
* Man, that Turkish figure skater looked just like Sofia Coppola. I was having Godfather III flashbacks.
* Yes, a woman skated to a Madonna song.
* What is the deal with the panty hose over the skate look? It freaked me out. I'm sure there's some practical reason like it keeps your laces from flying around, but it just looked weird.
* Did you see that giant blue rabbit that someone threw on the ice after one of Italian figure skaters finished? It was bigger than she was!
* At that skating gala thing (I didn't watch all of it!), one of the pairs women was wearing flesh colored undies. Classy!
* I like saying "Oval Lingotto".
* I like how they said "Ready?" before each speed skating race.
* They've added a disclaimer to that commercial where the woman jumps out of the window into her clothes to avoid deodorant stains. The disclaimer says "Do Not Attempt". No shit, you don't say!
* That commercial with the guy eating the giant hamburger kind of freaked me out.
* I really got into watching the reactions of the athletes when they would win gold medals. There was something that seemed so pure about it, it put a huge grin on my face almost every time. That would be an incredible thing to experience.
* That was super freaky when all the clowns came out at the closing ceremony, and I'm not even scared of clowns! It reminded me of the Seinfeld episode where crazy Joe Davola dresses up like a clown and goes to 'I, Pagliacci'. Wow, 2 opera references in one post!
* Those awful red noses they gave out to the athletes gave me 'Patch Adams' flashbacks. And I'm really, really sad that that last sentence is even possible! Did you notice how all the American athletes were too cool for school, hardly any of them were wearing their clown noses.
* Can we retire 'YMCA' from all public performances already? I know this was Italy, but C'MON!
* Andrea Bocelli - would it have killed you to shave? It's the freakin' Olympics - C'MON!! Miami Vice was 20 years ago dude.
* I thought it was kind of cool how the Vancouver mayor was waving the flag using his wheelchair.
* I thought we were going to have another wardrobe malfunction when those hoochies came out to dance while Ricky Martin was singing. You might want to class it up a little more next time, ladies, this is the Olympics fer cryin' out loud!
* The shot from behind Ricky Martin where you could see all the freaky-ass clowns just riveted to his performance made me laugh out loud. Too surreal!
* Do we really need commentary on the closing ceremony? In some cases it really made a bad situation worse. I think next time they should get the crew from Mystery Science Theater to commentate. I would pay to see that!

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger JC said...

I thought Ace really wet the bed tonight. And I like Taylor, but his performance was pretty bad too.

I can't believe I'm talking about this!!

3/01/2006 10:30 PM  
Blogger hollibobolli said...

I missed most of the closing ceremonies - but with my fear of clowns.. I just had to tune in for that part - Yay!! :(

What Madonna song?

I think you imagined the blue rabbit, Henry Fonda.

I hate the hamburger commercial.

I jump out windows to avoid deoderant stains constantly.

Did you ever find out the history behind YOUR silver medal???

3/02/2006 11:07 AM  
Blogger JC said...

Karen - I agree, Elliott and Chris were excellent. I would throw in Gedeon and say that those 3 are head and shoulders above everyone else. Cell phone cord belt boy has got to go!!!

Holli - Someone skated to a symphonic version of 'Like a Prayer'.

Is that a 'Harvey' reference? Wasn't that Jimmy Stewart? I tried to find a way to get a 'Donnie Darko' reference in there!

I forgot about your window jumping. The fact that you live on the first floor makes it tougher, too, so I admire your perserverance!

The medal remains a mystery!

3/02/2006 11:30 AM  
Blogger buffi said...

I haven't decided if I'm ashamed or proud of how little of the Olympics I watched this year. It really didn't seem to hold my attention at all. Even the ice skating, which is bizarre. Something about having three little kids, I suppose. That and it was always on so damn late. Crazy.


Seriously someone skated to "Like a Prayer?" Freaky.

Yes, you're right, that is Jimmy Stewart in "Harvey." But, you know, dead actors...who can tell 'em apart? j/k! (love you, Holli!)

3/02/2006 1:24 PM  
Blogger hollibobolli said...

shit - you're right.. Jimmy Stewart. Well just F me, what a dumbass I've turned into. I might as well go skate to Britney's "Material Girl!"

3/03/2006 10:55 AM  
Blogger kristen said...

Whenever you get Mystery Science Theater involved, things start looking up with commentary.

3/03/2006 12:10 PM  
Blogger JC said...

I hope next time someone skates to 'Papa Don't Preach'!!

3/03/2006 10:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home