Friday, February 17, 2006

Drowning in the Olympic Stew

I'm drowning in Olympic coverage. I feel compelled to watch just about everything that they are showing on NBC. If something else is on that I want to watch, I will tape the Olympics to watch later.

I have always thought that going to the Olympics and winning a medal would be an amazing accomplishment - not too many people can say that they have won an Olympic medal. It makes me wonder, though, how much the people who don't win a medal are disappointed. A lot of those people train for years. And the majority of people that even make it to the Olympics don't win medals. Does the non-winning figure skater who has trained for 10 years hate the speed skater who didn't even take up the sport until 4 years ago?

Here are a few things that have struck me so far:

* I liked that there was a figure skating pair that used a Led Zeppelin song.
* Did anyone see the crazy French figure skating coach that looked a little like Catherine Deneuve on the first night of the men's figure skating? The skater wasn't doing so great, and they showed her going ballistic on the sidelines. After the program, the skater was kind of kicked back a little bit drinking a bottle of water, and you could hear the coach say "body language!", and the guy immediately sat up straight!
* How about the Chinese pairs coach when the girl had that bad fall? He didn't seem to show any emotion at all. He must be fun to work with.
* The other night a Chinese speed skater won the women's 500 meter event. I thought it was really funny that she kept falling down when she was trying to celebrate afterward by holding up the Chinese flag!
* At the men's figure skating short program, did you see the skater from Belgium who had the awful, kind of 'Tron'-looking outfit?
* Wow, that snowboard cross looks like fun!
* Did you see the first skater last night on the men's figure skating long program? I thought it was kind of weird that he was skating to music from 'The Matrix' and kind of had a 'Matrix' costume. It was weird, but at least he was trying something different.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger hollibobolli said...

I do like that those people skated to MY evil theme song. However, just skating to Led Zeppelin does not explain to me how they could crash to the ice, hit a wall, pause for a full 5 minutes and STILL win the silver. It's rigged I tell you!!

The Weir guy freaked me out with his toe fluttering in the men's short program.

I think it would kick ass just to be in the olympics. What would suck would be to get hurt before you could perform, like Michelle Kwan.

I could win if they would have an olympic category for fastest bot bot production.

2/17/2006 11:26 AM  
Blogger BJ said...

JC - I read your blog often and have enjoyed. I keep coming back. But I haven't commented as of yet. But, Holli's last comment made me laugh out loud regarding a "category for bot bot! She is too funny.

2/17/2006 5:25 PM  
Blogger JC said...

Holli - How could I forget to mention that Chinese pair that wiped out? I may have to include that on my next Olympic post.

BJ - thanks for stopping by, come back anytime. And Holli is pretty damn funny.

Everytime I hear bot bot, I think of the 'bot bot' song, it's kind of hard to describe but it's set to the tune of the 'backpack' song from Dora the Explorer, with an extra embellishment thrown in!

2/17/2006 11:53 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I cannot get into it at all. I even called my cable company today to order the delux cable package instead of the super basic package I have because I need to watch something other than the olympics. I know I'm a freak. I love the Summer olympics but the winter stuff puts me to sleep.

2/18/2006 11:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home