Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Be Careful What You Wish For

I watched an interesting documentary over the weekend - Enron: The Smartest Guys In The Room. This film has received pretty good reviews, and I think it will be interesting to a general audience, but I have a more personal reason to take an interest in this story. I worked at Enron when I was in college. A lot of engineering students take co-op jobs, which basically means that you work a total of 3 semesters at a job in your field and get paid for it. I worked there in '92, '93, and '94. Back then there was no inkling among the regular employees of anything being amiss, at least in the department I worked in. I worked in the engineering group, which was totally separate from the trading side of things which really got the company in trouble. In fact, while I had a couple of people tell me that they would take me to see the trading floor (which features prominently in the film), I never did get to see it.

This movie got me thinking about how I dodged a bullet. Enron seemed like a pretty good place to work, and I was hoping to maybe work there after I finished school. When I graduated, I did not receive a job offer from Enron (I couldn't even get an interview), which disappointed me. After I got my job I didn't think too much about that anymore. Then, about 4 years after that I started reading and hearing about how Enron was so successful, the stock was through the roof, etc. I was really wishing at that point that I had gotten a job at Enron. So when the implosion began about 2 years after that, I could only feel a sense of relief that I hadn't ended up there. I guess that's a great illustration of 'be careful what you wish for - you might get it'.

Another cooking update - tonight I made green curry with pretty much the same ingredients as the red curry from last week. I don't like green as much as red, but I'm trying to use up the stuff I have in my pantry. I now have a fresh new bottle of fish sauce. I have to wonder, though, why is the bottle of fish sauce so big? I only use a few drops in a curry. It would take me 20 years to empty that thing.

2 Comments:

Blogger kristen said...

Fish sauce and paste gross me out. Which is why I don't cook Asian meals at home. It's really a wonder that I'm not a Vegan with all of my food rules and willies.

2/07/2006 11:25 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I like fish sauce and I know that makes me weird. My ex boyfriend used it in stir fry (just a wee bit) and it was delicious.

2/07/2006 9:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home