Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Lips Together, Teeth Apart

I posted about a month and half ago about the fact that I was grinding my teeth at night. Last Wednesday my jaw was killing me most of the day, and I decided enough was enough. I tried to find a mouthguard that would not cause TMJ, but I couldn't. I did however come across some interesting advice. On one mouthguard site they were talking about how the mouthguard should be seen as a temporary solution, and that the long-term answer was behavior modification. I had never considered this possibility before. They used the phrase "Lips together, teeth apart". Seeing as how this was also something that Holli told me as a way to control teeth grinding, I thought there must be something to it. So, it is my new mantra. And I have to say that it has been a little bit of a struggle for me so far. I have always thought that it was better on your jaw to have your teeth closed together most of the time. I think I may be making some progress, though, because I really do notice when my teeth touch now. Oddly enough, Holli discovered that "Lips Together, Teeth Apart" is also the name of a play by Terrence McNally, which I had never heard of before. It's a sign I tell you!

7 Comments:

Blogger Dana said...

I grind the hell out of my teeth and it makes my jaws and head hurt.

Lips together teeth apart will be something I work on though, b/c it doesn't feel natural.

2/15/2006 7:09 PM  
Blogger kristen said...

I try to loosen my jaw before I go to bed at night and I'm with Baylor. Lips together, teeth apart seems virtuall impossible for me.

2/15/2006 8:23 PM  
Blogger hollibobolli said...

BLUSH! I wish.. I need botox.

JC - you didn't mention the other similarities in that play!!

Lips together, teeth apart has been my mantra lately too - especially since getting bashed in the jaw with a baby skull.

2/16/2006 4:05 PM  
Blogger Jan said...

Lips together teeth apart what is that all about?

2/16/2006 6:00 PM  
Blogger JC said...

Anne - Sorry, I can't help you with that one!

Holli - Botox? Pftz. Yes, the fact that that play is written by a gay man and has a theme about people being scared of gay people is apparently further proof that I'm really gay. Thanks for bringing that to everyone's attention! And I hate getting bashed in the jaw by baby skulls! It always brings me down. It's more like "lips apart, teeth apart".

Jan - If you're talking about the mantra, it's a way to help me stop grinding my teeth at night. If you're talking about the play, there's a short description here.

2/16/2006 11:25 PM  
Blogger kristen said...

F-the botox! Have you seen Katie Couric lately? F-ing FREAK! No good comes from using botox and 10 years from now, when the nerve damage kicks in and the FDA announces they made a mistake....I'll be frowning and you'll be able to tell!

2/17/2006 6:55 AM  
Blogger hollibobolli said...

Kiki - LOL

2/21/2006 3:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home